RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't enable port4 (esata) on N54L - mod bios

freeserv

Guys, I need some help here.

I've been running my N54L with Win 8.1 for the past 4 months with the mod bios with no issues.

I want to use port4 to fit a 6th hdd but whatever I do windows or bios won't detect the drive.

I have followed all instructions, fitted extra molex power connector, esata to sata cable, changed bios settings as per instructions but no luck.

See my bios screenshots below.

Am I missing something?

hp_bios_mod_041 - the_bay 01.jpg

hp_bios_mod_041 - the_bay 03.jpg

hp_bios_mod_041 - the_bay 04.jpg

20141020_184428.jpg

OK, I have to ask a dumb question -- do you have a drive plugged into your eSATA Port4? Does the eSATA-SATA cable and drive work on another machine?

I can see you have a Crucial plugged into your ODD SATA Port5 then 4 Segate's in the 4 drive cage

I don't know why you can't see anything on the Port4 -- I'll take a look at my machines tonight and see if I can figure anything out -- I'm running the newest BIOS like you so that they can run Win8.1 (as well as S2012R2E and Server10) and the NIC's work but I didn't BIOS-Mod those (yet) -- Port4 should still be visible even in IDE Emulation Mode.

OK, I have to ask a dumb question -- do you have a drive plugged into your eSATA Port4? Does the eSATA-SATA cable and drive work on another machine?

I can see you have a Crucial plugged into your ODD SATA Port5 then 4 Segate's in the 4 drive cage

I don't know why you can't see anything on the Port4 -- I'll take a look at my machines tonight and see if I can figure anything out -- I'm running the newest BIOS like you so that they can run Win8.1 (as well as S2012R2E and Server10) and the NIC's work but I didn't BIOS-Mod those (yet) -- Port4 should still be visible even in IDE Emulation Mode.

Joe_Miner, yes I have a drive plugged in. In fact I've tested a new 4TB WD Black, 1, 2, 3TB Seagate drives that I have spare, nothing.

All these drives worked instantly when I hook it up to my external esata enclosure.

Bought 3 of these esata to sata cables - http://www.lindy-usa.com/0-sata-esata.html

Tested the cables on 2 of my work machines and detected drives after a reboot.

I'm usually good at figuring things out but i'm stuck with this one..

I'm thinking of installing the original BIOS update so that Win8.1 and NIC can still work, test port4 an take it from there.

I will need this eventually to work on the mod BIOS though because of SSD on ODD port5.

Solved!

I inspected the esata to sata cables and noticed that the esata connector is shorter than the connector of my esata to esata cable. see attached image.

I connected the drive again with esata to sata cable, pushed the esata cable as far as it could go and it detected the drive.

The temp solution now would be to duct tape the cable to stay there but I bought 3 of these and will be returning it for proper cables.

Can you feel/hear the drive power up?

at 1st I couldn't feel the drive power up but then I checked the cables and found the problem, see my previous post, problem temporarily fixed for now.

20141021_054323-Edit.jpg

Edited by freeserv
  • Like 1

Agreed, nice detective work.

I've run into this problem in the past. There is no need to return the cables. The easiest fix is to simply trim some of the plastic from the connector, to expose more of the metal part. I bet, if you were to trim off 1/16" of the plastic shroud you would have no issues anymore.

It's a quick, simple, and easy fix, and has never failed me.

Agreed, nice detective work.

I've run into this problem in the past. There is no need to return the cables. The easiest fix is to simply trim some of the plastic from the connector, to expose more of the metal part. I bet, if you were to trim off 1/16" of the plastic shroud you would have no issues anymore.

It's a quick, simple, and easy fix, and has never failed me.

Thanks guys.

Ikon, I did the fix you recommended and it's working 100% now. Routed the cable through the back, top cover is closed, job done. I appreciate the advise here, HSS forum members rock!