RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Issues upgrading CPU to e3-1260l

Andromancer

I've been browsing this forum for several weeks now after purchasing my microserver and thanks to the sticky I've been able to get it up and running. However recently i purchased an e3-1260l to replace the 1610T that the microserver originally came with and I haven't able to get it to work. When I power it on initially it would go through all the diagnostics before the boot splash screen but would restart. Afterwoods it will constantly restart after performing the early processor initialization task.

Your version is a v2 or v3?

If v3, it is not supported, so far.

The Xeon E3-1260L is a 1st generation LGA1155 processor, there are no 1260L V2 or V3 products. All V3s are LGA1150 and will not physically fit into a Gen 8 motherboard, which is LGA1155. The Xeon E3-1260L is supported by the Intel C204 Chipset used in the Gen 8 Microserver so the Xeon E3-1260L should work.

• Like 1

The Xeon E3-1260L is a 1st generation LGA1155 processor, there are no 1260L V2 or V3 products. All V3s are LGA1150 and will not physically fit into a Gen 8 motherboard, which is LGA1155. The Xeon E3-1260L is supported by the Intel C204 Chipset used in the Gen 8 Microserver so the Xeon E3-1260L should work.

My bad, I was expecting this CPU to have same versions as others did.

Does it boot normally when you replaced the 1610T (i.e. put the 1610T back in)?

Yes it does. At the moment, I'm inclined to believe that either the cpu that I received is not usable or some microserver bios settings need tweaking. Also I ran the firmware update whilst the original g1610t and tried swapping it out again but no luck. I recall that the video guides mention something about upgrading the ROM but there is no option to, nor does the HP site have anything on this.

You may be referring to the ROMPaq J06??  The latest version is 6/6/2014 I believe though the previous ROMPaq seemed to work well for me.

It shouldn't matter which version of system ROM.  The processors that come with the Gen8 are Ivy-Bridge architecture, so the previous Sandy Bridge (1260L) architecture should work right away.

If it is not, and just swapping the G1610T back in works properly, I think it is highly likely the 1260L is defective, or possibly an engineering sample (ES; you'd know because the heatspreader would likely say "Confidential" on it) that might have compatibility issues.

• Like 1

I've got a 1260L in mine and it just booted up after install with no changes to the BIOS or any other settings. This is with the latest BIOS 6/6/2014.

I'd double check the CPU is seated correctly and the heatsink is evenly located on top. Otherwise sounds very much like a faulty CPU.

• Like 1