RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P410 RAID Card + External (and onboard) NIC?

Rukah

I just want to confirm before I buy...

I have a N54L running a P410 RAID Controller. I want to add the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network card so that I have 2xNIC's.... I plan to use them with ESXi so I can learn about virtual switches etc.

Does anyone have both a RAID Controller (Pref P410), External NIC and onboard NIC working? If so, was there anything you had to watchout for?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. People are running multiple NICs in N54Ls when using them as routers/UTMs. However, I can't speak to the ESXi compatibility. From what I've heard, ESXi can be pretty picky, especially v5.5.

• 7 months later...

Bit of a late reply on this, but I wanted to double check before I buy the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK. It seems I can add the card to ESXi (its on the compatability list) - Hopefully without reinstalling?

Some people have been reporting hardware bottlenecks on the PCI Bus when running a Hardware RAID Card (P410) and an External NIC. Has anyone experienced this/What kind of reduce speeds should I be expecting.

And just to confirm, I intend to do "NIC Teaming" on ESXi with both the external/Internal Card - Is there any reason why this wouldn't work.

Thanks