RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
alexwick

Stable bit drive pool / Snapraid HELP

alexwick

I am moving most of all my hard drives from my main PC to my Storage / HTPC server

Now currently I am running a

- Windows Raid 1 (duplication) two 3 TB drives (personal Media up to 2011)

- 1 Single 3 TB harddrive (personal other files)

- 1 single 2 TB files which seems to be slowly failing (personal Media 2012+)

- adding two new 3 TB drives next week

(- 1 WD attached Storage NAS (2x 3 TB Raid 1) (MOVIES/ SHOWS...))

I heard much good about drivepool. BUT I am really confused why I hardly cant find any YOUtube videos.... (is it not that popular) or reviews

I just installed a trial and what i heard was that it will always write data on the harddrive that is the emptiest.

Now I always like a backdoor. And it seems drivepool gives you that backdoor. 

BUT and that seems to be a BIG BUT... files might be randomly on different harddrives...!!! With 5TB of Photos (lets say 200.000 photos)

I see a NIGHTMARE ever wanting to change back....!

Then I heard about using drivepool to make pools and snapraid for "backup"... does this make more sense?

I DO like the idea that drivepool could duplicate everything, but I am really scared off making a HUGH Mess!!!

Why do I want to use drivepool... for example i like to have all Media in one drive... since i have more than 3 TB data i cannot physically store it in only one HD.

any thoughts would really be appreciated!!!

Alex

Joe_Miner

Some places to check:

http://homeservershow.com/tag/stablebit  using the blog tag "stablebit"

http://homeservershow.com/tag/drivepool using the blog tag "drivepool"

As my sig shows I use DrivePool & Scanner on my WHS 2011 server -- I recently moved my server from a N54L to a X58 and it was very easy to move my database over -- I like it.

Edited by Joe_Miner

alexwick

well i understand if you stay in the stable bit eco system you wont have problems! I am there with you that far.... BUT if you ever wanted to move to something else for any reason (lets say the dont support Win 12... in a few years)

All my files will be there and accessible... BUT ALL OVER THE PLACE... are you not afraid of that?

Al_Borges

I have two drivepools running in my main machine and my server. I don't believe the situation is as dire as you fear, there seems to some logic in the file duplication scheme stable bit uses

Also the " folder" duplication scheme (versus the file balancing option) appears to do what you want - keep folders together

Stablebits support guy, drashna, is active on this forum and I sure he can elaborate

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

ikon

I agree with Al_Borges - your files will not be "ALL OVER THE PLACE".  They will still be in folders on the drives. Perhaps there may be more than one folder of the same name, on different drives, but I don't think it will be a huge mess.

Poppapete

+++

And the files can be accessed without DrivePool being active.

ikon

+++

And the files can be accessed without DrivePool being active.

Yep.

Drashna Jaelre

I agree with Al_Borges - your files will not be "ALL OVER THE PLACE".  They will still be in folders on the drives. Perhaps there may be more than one folder of the same name, on different drives, but I don't think it will be a huge mess.

the "Ordered File Placement" balancer will fill up one disk at a time, and to try to keep the contents of each folder together.

ikon

the "Ordered File Placement" balancer will fill up one disk at a time, and to try to keep the contents of each folder together.

Thanks for this. It matches up pretty well with what I thought.