RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pandemonium

Best OS for HP Microserver N54L NAS?

oj88

Up until yesterday, I didn't knew about XPEnology. Thanks to this thread.

Anyway, I'm trying out XPEnology with DSM 5.0 in the office on a test N36L (along with the BIOS mod). Installation was not difficult after you figure out where and which files you need.

I must say that it's a slick OS/platform. And ikon is right, if it weren't for the client BMR capabilities of WHS and WSE, I'd probably drop those in favor of DSM!

Of course, I will still need to tweak around and play devil's advocate. I should think up some failure scenarios (fun part) with DS running on the Microserver to see exactly if this combo is reliable.

yud

Up until yesterday, I didn't knew about XPEnology. Thanks to this thread.

Anyway, I'm trying out XPEnology with DSM 5.0 in the office on a test N36L (along with the BIOS mod). Installation was not difficult after you figure out where and which files you need.

I must say that it's a slick OS/platform. And ikon is right, if it weren't for the client BMR capabilities of WHS and WSE, I'd probably drop those in favor of DSM!

Of course, I will still need to tweak around and play devil's advocate. I should think up some failure scenarios (fun part) with DS running on the Microserver to see exactly if this combo is reliable.

For anyone who wants to install Xpenology on their Microserver here is a really good guide:

http://cyanlabs.net/Thread-Install-Synology-DSM-5-0-4493-ESXi-Non-ESXI

And the older version, which includes some ESXi specific steps:

http://cyanlabs.net/Thread-Install-ESXi-on-N54L-XPEnology-on-ESXi

Hope this helps.

pandemonium

Update:

I successfully install "XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.3 build 3810++ (repack v1.0)" as per the link (Synology on N54L) and the world's a beautiful place once again!

Compared to WS2012R2E, this was extremely simple, straight-forward, intuitive and short. In about 30-45min or so, I was up and running a NAS (correctly setup the way I wanted it to be). The User Interface is brilliant and I can't stop singing its praises. Sure, it doesn't offer the intricate controls of WS2012R2E/etc... but for idiots like me, this is a beautifully simple solution that "talks what I can understand".

I've easily manged to get all that I wanted from the server using XPEnology - A really short, smart & simple setup, a decently quick NAS, easy to connect to the shared folders on my network, easy to connect to from all my devices (phones, tablets, etc), a simple & intuitive webpage based admin panel, insanely simple user priv implementation. And, the best thing so far... it recognises all my USB drives straight off and makes them available to my network based on the sharing privs! FreeNAS was a b***h for all that.

Questions I still have; looking for answers... trawling through the vast mass of the internet :

• Will it recognize a graphics card with a HDMI port?
  • Can I play videos through the server using a graphics card's HDMI connection?
  • Can I update the DiskStation software? If so, how?
  • I believe the latest Synology servers have a HDMI port

Thank you all for your help so far... and a HUGE thank you to ikon for coming to my rescue, once again! Cheers dawg !

Edited by pandemonium

ikon

Your very welcome. I can't answer your next questions - I'll leave them to people with a lot more expertise in XPEnology - with the possible exception of updating. AFAIK, XPEnology can be updated from the Synology website. I'm sure I asked this question when I had a brief look at it and was told yes (with the possible exception of some of the Synology proprietary apps).

What I can say is that I have a Synology CS407e box (that I no longer use due to it being so underpowered). What I did notice is that the software is really nice to use, and some of the apps are also really nice. For example, I found the photo sharing app was quite good - not as good as Gallery - but good. The HTML-based file sharing app was good too; a lot simpler to use for most people than FTP.

EDIT: I decided to start a new thread for my XPenology adventure: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8401-ikons-xpenology-experience/#entry90727

• Like 1

oj88

FWIW, I'm running the latest version of DSM now: DSM 5.0-4528 Update 1

You can only use the "Update" function in DSM to install minor updates (ie. Update 1, Update 2, etc.). You just need to follow instructions here: http://cyanlabs.net/Thread-Updating-To-Minor-Synology-XPEnology-DSM-Versions).

You CAN'T use the "Update" function to say, upgrade from DSM 5.0-4493 to DSM 5.0-4528. For that, AFAIK, you will have to burn the appropriate XPEnology IMG into a USB stick that corresponds to the DSM version that you want to use or upgrade to. I got the Nanoboot 4528 IMG file from here: http://www.xpenology.nl/boot-images/. You can get the DSM 5.0-4528 pat file from here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/download/DS3612xs

I'd still prefer using USB sticks to boot up the NAS as it doesn't involve burning the IMG directly onto the NAS disk (where your data might still exist), especially when you need to upgrade DSM to a higher version. With a USB stick, you just swap it out with one containing the newer XPEnology IMG. Anyway, I use the Microserver's internal USB so it's a non-issue for me.

I obviously can't speak for everyone so do as you please.

• Like 1

pandemonium

Update: Probably the final one!

I finally upgraded the N54L to DSM 5.0 with 4528 Update 1 last night. Why?

• Got delivery of the 2 3Tb WDRed's that I was waiting on (Amazon £87 each, free delivery, took 2 days!)
  • Rethought my shared folder strategy and what data needed to go where...
  • Was on DSM 4.3... which is open to the hack... didn't want 4528 due to the inherent issues... Update 1 seemed to be the latest release

Installation was fairly simple/straightforward... all I really had to do was ensure that I had the right .img and .pat files and follow the normal procedure. It took some searching/doing to get these files (just a little ;p), as the <<<CYNLABS>>> link only offers 4493... which when installed pesters you about the 4528 build update! You're then supposed to run a couple of commands via SSH and its supposed to work... only, it doesn't.

The only way it works is if you re-install using the corresponding .img and .pat files. CYNLABS or XPenology.com do not offer links to these files... but, <<<Xpenology.nl>>> does. The link to the Update 1 pat works, but the file is either corrupted or, has an issue. It doesn't work.

What does work is... if you install the 4528 .img and .pat files and then go into Update/Restore and just Update normally... ! Easy peasy... lemon squeesy!

Anyhow... I've only installed this yesterday... so, need a few more days to see how stable this is/etc. But, from what I could gather, it is.

ikon

In the other thread you'll find most of what you just posted. You can't update to 4528 from 4493 by using the commands in SSH because 4528 is not considered a minor update. Basically, as you found out, you have to do a migration upgrade and, yes, you have to get the files from the .nl site.