RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pandemonium

Best OS for HP Microserver N54L NAS?

pandemonium

You can use a BSD based solution with a BMR software package for a fraction of the cost of server2012R2

Thanks schoondoggy, but... what's  a BMR software package? Tried googling it and all I get is a BMI & BMR calculator type search results!

By BSD based solutions, I take it you mean FreeNAS/NAS4Free?

pandemonium

Update:

1. Flashed BIOS with the modded new BIOS
  2. Installed Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials
  3. Installed Stablebit DrivePool and Scanner

Issues:

1. I find DrivePoor & Scanner unnecessary and a tad confusing. I've got 4 x 1TB drives and adding them to the pool sets them up as Simple drives !?! Even after duplicating & balancing setup...? So... it seems that I need to setup folders and give them specific duplication/balancing tags? This is a bit annoying even though it offers the ultimate control !
    Question - I've got the drives now as Mirrored (4x1Tb drives = 2 x 2Tb Mirrored drives)... Is DrivePool / Scanner better than WS2012R2E's disk management? What is the performance like for both? Which is better?
  2. WS2012R2E is bloody confusing... to say the least ! There's far too much to setup before you can start using anything! People claim 30min setup... its been nearly 12 hrs and I'm not even remotely done! All I've managed to do is install WS2012r2E, created an admini user, played about with disk management, drivepool/scanner... 

What I haven't yet figured out is:

1. How do I setup a NAS on this now?
  2. How do I setup a Mediaserver to stream music/video/photos?
  3. How do I setup a SMB/CIFS/whatever(!) share to access files on the NAS?

Help!

schoondoggy

Thanks schoondoggy, but... what's  a BMR software package? Tried googling it and all I get is a BMI & BMR calculator type search results!

By BSD based solutions, I take it you mean FreeNAS/NAS4Free?

There are several out there. Many use Acronis, I like Paragon Backup and Recovery. It is $39.95 or three license for $69.95:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/features.html

Yes, BSD solutions would be FreeNAS and NAS4Free.

I just downloaded OpenMediaVault, have heard good things:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/features.html

• Like 1

ikon

1. A NAS is really just a box that has network accessible shared folders on it. You can create shares on WSE2012r2 by using the DashBoard. Since WSE2012r2 is a Domain Controller, be sure to set up Users on the server so that your client computers can access them. The easiest way is to join the client computers to the Domain, but it's also possible to use a reg hack to not have to join the clients to the Domain.

3. To me, question 1 & 3 are really the same: use the DashBoard to create shares.

BTW, BMR stands for Bare Metal Restore. Basically, backup software that can restore a computer completely from scratch; for example, if the OS drive completely dies.

• Like 1

pandemonium

Thanks Schoondoggy & Ikon... very helpful info there. Computer backup is not really a concern/issue for me - I tend to keep all my computers light and store everything on the NAS. What I really want is a slick/kick-ass NAS which does a lot more than just store files. FreeNAS seemed to do it for me till it got its knickers in a twist and slowed everything down to a snail's pace.

I've setup the 2 mirrored volumes as shared and can access them from my other computers - but the access isn't quite as clean as I'd want. I see all the user folders and a bunch of other folders... hidden amongst those is my shared folder! Ridiculous.

A couple more issues have cropped up:

1. The server won't recognise any USB drives I attach to it. They show up in Disk Management, but have every darn thing greyed out - i.e. It won't allow me to assign a drive letter to it. It will only allow me to DELETE the partition!! 
    I suspect this is something to do with permissions. Couldn't find anything worthwhile on google. Is there a way I can get 2012R2E to chill out a bit and be more friendly?

2. Also, I can't connect to the server using Remote Desktop Connection - even though the permission is set on the server to allow remote connections. It simply won't let me connect from a Mac (all my PC/laptops are iMac/MacBookPro/Airs) using Microsoft's "Remote Desktop Connection". I've set the Access Anywhere on the server and got a url for web access too... even that's not working.

Everything seems to be going pear shaped now! Or... perhaps its not and I just don't know what I should be doing! Perhaps WS2012R2E is NOT for me and I should either try W8.1 or go back to FreeNAS (or try NAS4Free as Joe_Miner said, or OpenMediaVault as Schoondoggy said).

Looks like at some point tonight, I'm going to flip my lid... 

ikon

If all your clients are iOS then perhaps Windows Server of any flavour is not your best option. I wonder if a Synology hack might be a better option.

• Like 1

pandemonium

If all your clients are iOS then perhaps Windows Server or any flavour is not your best option. I wonder if a Synology hack might be a better option.

What's a Synology hack !?! Would that allow me to install Synology's OS on the HP N54L ?

That would indeed be awesome... I quite like Synology & QNAP's offerings.

Sorry Ikon, the system won't allow me to thank using the button anymore - seems like I've reached my quota for the day (do we have a quota for this !!??!!)

Edited by pandemonium

pandemonium

If all your clients are iOS then perhaps Windows Server or any flavour is not your best option. I wonder if a Synology hack might be a better option.

:rolleyes: Didn't google first... sorry... :rolleyes:

Just been reading through XPEnology... I take it that's what you meant?

Synology on N54L

Just from the looks of it, seems to be my dream come true... questions galore - is it robus? Reliable? Will it last? Can it be upgraded as and when new Synology DS versions come out?

ikon

Yup, XPEnology is the one I was thinking of. I haven't run it myself, but a few other members have and they seem to like it. My only complaint is the lack of a built in BMR option for Windows clients.

• Like 1