RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Microserver and Ubuntu 14.04

Royco

I'm running CentOS 7 myself, but there are now good instructions available for Ubuntu:

Advisory: Ubuntu 14.04 ISO - Installation of HPVSA Driver Will Fail if a ProLiant Gen8 Server Is Configured With a Smart Array B320i or Smart Array B120i Controller (c04439186)

Description: During an installation of the Ubuntu 14.04 operating system, if the underlying ProLiant server is configured with a Smart Array B320i or Smart Array B120i Controller, the installation will fail at thedetect disk step because the HPVSA driver is not present (inbox) on the 14.04 Ubuntu Operating System ISO

Edited by Royco
  • Like 1

I'm running CentOS 7 myself, but there are now good instructions available for Ubuntu:

Advisory: Ubuntu 14.04 ISO - Installation of HPVSA Driver Will Fail if a ProLiant Gen8 Server Is Configured With a Smart Array B320i or Smart Array B120i Controller (c04439186)

Description: During an installation of the Ubuntu 14.04 operating system, if the underlying ProLiant server is configured with a Smart Array B320i or Smart Array B120i Controller, the installation will fail at thedetect disk step because the HPVSA driver is not present (inbox) on the 14.04 Ubuntu Operating System ISO

Very good news, anyone achieved to run Ubuntu keeping fan low with 120i managing the RAID ?

Thanks.

Pierre

Before Centos (a clone of RHEL) I ran Ubuntu with the HPVSA driver from HP. It ran at 6% fan with B120i raid enabled.

Be warned: it broke after an kernel update, since the driver was not included. You get the unique disk id error.

Assuming you're using it as a server and you're running Ubuntu, I'd probably run an LTS version of Ubuntu, either 12.04.5 or 14.04.1.  I'm not a Linux guru, but I'd probably do 12.04.5 as it's an updated version of a mature OS and there's a fair amount of support --and reassurance that a number of apps won't break.

RHEL would also be a good choice.

I'm running ubuntu 14.04 with an upgraded xeon processor and it's on 24/7 with zero problems.

Happy to answer any questions you may have

The simplest way to run ubuntu (headless server ) I've found is by simply installing webmin as soon as soon as the os is on then you have a simple gui. Happy days

Si

Oh I have my bios set to ahci btw , not raid

Edited by bigladuk