RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Twonky Media Server access from the outside

JohnnyT

I used to use Twonky v4 on my old Linksys NSLU2 "Slug" NAS and it worked great for accessing and playing my media from the Internet. I just routed port 9000 to my little slug and I could browse and play my media collection from outside of my LAN with no problems. On my new WHS, I recently installed the Twonky v5 add-in and re-routed port 9000 to my WHS. From outside my LAN, I can browse to the root page of my Twonky server, but every menu selection link is broken because it now refers to my internal IP address. For example, from the Twonky main page, the "Music" link points to "http://192.168.1.10:9000/Music". Obviously this doesn't work because my WHS internal 192.168.1.10 address is not visible from the Internet. I've searched everywhere in the Twonky setup and config files and could not determine how to make this work. I also uninstalled v5 and tried the latest v6 but it has the same problem. Strange that this worked fine in v4 on my primitive NSLU2, but doesn't work on WHS. Any ideas?

How are the links like the example to "Music" created? Can you reconfigure them to use your remote access address like "https://myhomeserver.homeserver.com:9000/music"? I am just taking a guess and others may have better suggestions for remote access.

The links are created purely within the Twonky system. As I've mentioned, I found no way to reconfigure them. It just insists on creating URL links containing my internal IP address. Thanks for your input.

Just to clarify, I want Internet access to all my media types, music, photos and video (mostly xvids). The add-ins I've tried seem to only do music. Twonky v4 on my old Linux based NAS used to handle Internet access of all media types. I've tried Orb, which showed much promise at first but caused stability problems on my WHS.

A lot of people have not had the best of luck with Twonky. I don't know if there is one app that will do what you want. For media streaming you might check out Subsonic.

You also might try not using the add-in but actually remote desktop into the server and install Twonky that way. Twonky no long supports the add-in and says the normal installed program is more stable.

Maybe you should give Twonky 6.0 a try.http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0/

I have the MediaSmart Server which has a Twonky version and is accessable by the HP MediaSmart Web Page remotely. Version 6 of Twonky has a similar Flash web interface.

Install this on your server, then RDC into your server. Find the Twonky folder and open the html file. You should see a FLASH link on the left. This will be your link. Copy that link to use the web interface in your external browser. You need to RDC to open the htlm file because if you try http://servername:9000 from your PC, you will get a red access denied screen.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I did try the latest Twonky v6 but it still didn't work. Rather than mess with manual hacking of their config files, I'm going to move on and look at Subsonic and possible others. I had a very long love-hate relationship with Twonky on my NAS and do not want to go down that road again with WHS. Too bad. Twonky has the most configurable media browsing trees out there.

• 3 months later...

I used to use Twonky v4 on my old Linksys NSLU2 "Slug" NAS and it worked great for accessing and playing my media from the Internet. I just routed port 9000 to my little slug and I could browse and play my media collection from outside of my LAN with no problems. On my new WHS, I recently installed the Twonky v5 add-in and re-routed port 9000 to my WHS. From outside my LAN, I can browse to the root page of my Twonky server, but every menu selection link is broken because it now refers to my internal IP address. For example, from the Twonky main page, the "Music" link points to "http://192.168.1.10:9000/Music". Obviously this doesn't work because my WHS internal 192.168.1.10 address is not visible from the Internet. I've searched everywhere in the Twonky setup and config files and could not determine how to make this work. I also uninstalled v5 and tried the latest v6 but it has the same problem. Strange that this worked fine in v4 on my primitive NSLU2, but doesn't work on WHS. Any ideas?

Hi Sir, I've been using TwonkyMedia Server on two servers at home (ACRyan Play!On HD and DNS-323 devices) since the last one year by internally (within home network). Now when I google on the way to access it externally, I found your idea here... All these while my NAS and Media Player are all at intranet separated from internet on its VLAN (I have two wireless routers at home) due to concern to expose them to internet.

In this place, I like your idea on accessing home-server TwonkyMedia Server from internet (externally), but may I know how you protect your media-server from internet access? It could be accessed by 'unauthorized' people externally, as we know TwonkyMedia and others DLNA-UPnP server may not have access-control etc on who can access what media/file on it... Internally, I've been helpless on controlling who can access what on my media servers either :)

Thanks for any advice, guys...

BR - Arc.