RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New gen8

Chaucer498

Hi all, I have recently placed an order for a gen8 micro server in the base celeron model figuring I would be upgrading everything piece by piece anyway.

I have noticed that the Xeon CPUs compatible with this server don't seem to be readily available anymore. I am thinking of sending the server back and maybe looking for an alternative. Did they stop production on these low voltage CPUs for this server?

The only one I could find was close to 500 bucks on Amazon from HP. For that I might as well send the celeron model back and just buy the Xeon model. Any suggestions or insight on this?

Intel launched the Xeon E3-1200 v2 Product Family in early-2012 and announced the Family EOL in mid-2013. I have read they will end shipments in December, 2014.

Low TDP Xeon E3 v2s are getting harder to find but they are still available and for less than $500. I see new Xeon E3-1220L v2 processors for sale for around $225 and up (tray-only) and new E3-1265L v2 boxed for around $325 and up.

You didn't offer any insights into what you want/need in a server so it's up to you to decide. If I had a Gen8 Micro I'd go for the E3-1265L v2 but that's just me.

• Like 1

Many people here purchased their upgrade processors on eBay.  That's how I got my 1265L v2.  I'm sure it had some use, but it has worked very well in my system for over a year now.

Other good CPUs include (as Taffeys has mentioned) the E3-1220L v2, and also the E3-1260L, which is the predecessor of the 1265L v2.

• Like 2

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to get some more processing power for transcoding and such on the server. I was thinking of a low voltage E3 but can't seem to find any at all anywhere. I have looked for 1220s 1265s with no luck. They seem to all be out of stock or discontinued. What other processors are readily available that I can pick up at a decent price off new egg or similar site. I actually received my gen8 today but didn't get a chance to even look at it because I just got home from a long day at work.

I can't seem to find any of the L series processors so I was wondering if I picked up an E3 1230 v2 would I have to do anything special in regards to heat due to the 69W cpu? I don't want to have to worry about overheating issues.

The first link shows the CPU I am looking for for 337 but it is out of stock. That is what I have been noticing with all of the links. I do not really want to buy used or refurbed.

The second link shows the 1220 V2 and that is fine I guess but my concern is increased 69W on that cpu. Am I going to have to add fans and go nutts if I install that cpu? I want an easy and seemless install I do not want to be dealing with overheating issues later.

Thanks for the posts.