RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MS VM Converter 3.0

Poppapete

• 2 weeks later...

Renny,

No I didn't get around to it. I changed my router from UT to Sophos. Then started playing with Windows 10.

So been pretty busy.

What I have learned is that you need plenty of horse power for VM's. As my signature shows my R2 E server has Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3 GHz CPU and 32 GB of RAM which I built especially for Hyper-V.  However after setting up 3 security cameras and using it as a media server, file server as well as a backup server, the CPU was pretty much loaded and now use my desktop for the Hyper-V's. The desktop has an i7 3820 4 core and 32 RAM and the Hyper-V's work much better simple because when I am using them that's all their doing.

In short if you want run a OS 24/7 in a hyper-V make sure you have plenty of HP especially if the mother machine is doing other stuff at the same time.

Tried the old disk2vhd tool from way back to test-convert my production WHS2011 into a VM. I'm sure the new tool does the same and then some.

This can work as a backup. However, I don't think you can do a V2P conversion after that like if you'd want to do a BMR, so you'll probably be stuck with your server load being a VM forever.

I may be wrong though.

Tell me about it. Blue Iris is the culprit but I just love it. CPU usage drops from 40-50% down to 10-15% when I turn off the BI. I can either master the machinations of Milestones Xprotectgo which uses less CPU or maybe set up a dedicated server for the cameras. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I'll second the love of blueIris, and it's high CPU usage....

But it's site even recommends a core i7 with 8GBs of RAM for multiple HD camera streams.... So maybe having a dedicated box for BlueIris may be a good idea.