RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 corrupt backup

TheGuy

Error:   WHS 2011 Backup repair did not succeed.  An unknown error preventer the backup repair process from starting.

I tried all weekend to recuperate the backup... it has failed.. ok.  I give up.

So the Question is:  how can I reset the client backup so as to restart a fresh backup for all of my clients?  do I simply re-install WHS-2011?  or format the client backup drives?

Thank you

PS:  Time for me to move to Essentials R2;   I think.

More Info from event viewer:

Unexpected Error 0x54e from ReadHeader on Q:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\Data.4096.427.dat: Unable to complete the requested operation because of either a catastrophic media failure or a data structure corruption on the disk.

There you go.  Sounds like the backup disk is going bad, or at least has bad sectors on it.  Or at least thats the way I see it.

^^  What he said. WHS2011's Client Backup is very reliable. Going to R2 would not fix this issue, I don't believe. I think your best course is to test that drive (I test all drives, new or used, before putting them into production).

ok so the drive is bad...  I have a spare... now how do I reset the backup?  it won't let me take it out ... until I can point it to a new one... which will be in the location of the old one... if I can ever move forward.

If you replace the bad drive and re-run the Backup Repair, I would think it would probably delete the backup images it can't recover and return a cleaned up backup database. I say this because I suspect the issues with the current drive have been interfering with Backup Repair's ability to clean up the database: i.e. it keeps trying to read and/or write data and the drive keeps returning errors.

Another option would be to rename the current Backup Database and force the system to rebuild it from scratch.

1st, make a backup of the your client back up's. Then delete the back ups.

You should be able to run the back up process without any issues.

Worked for me.

@ Mailman1988.  I would appreciate instructions on how... as it is not working for me.  so how should I proceed to get this step done " make client backup"