RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dragon_Void

Is the Dell Poweredge T20 any good?

Dragon_Void

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a T20. I however don't see a lot of reviews about this unit on the Internet. Is it worth while to get one of these servers? Will I have an issue running Ubuntu Server on this server?

schoondoggy

It runs Ubuntu fine. The Dell T20 and the Lenovo TS-140 are very similar server board designs. Look in the deal section to see some of the current deals on the TS-140. Price wise, Lenovo has been offering great deals on the TS-140.

Dragon_Void

Well, as I'll have to import the Lenovo (with the current exchange rate importing is a no go. Adding import taxes to the price of the Lenovo will also put me in a whole new market - Might just as well add a few bucks and get a gen 8 Micro server then), I can only go for the Dell T20 at the moment. I looked at an HP Proliant ML10 as well, but I don't really support their new policy to get drivers and firmware upgrades. Is there any reliability issues with the Dell? I see the Dell also comes with a 3 year warranty standard, so that is a huge advantage over the HP.

ikon

From what I've seen, there isn't a whole lot to choose from between the T20 and TS-140.

Dragon_Void

So it will be just as good or better than my N54L?

Mod: please edit the topic title, and change the title to: "Is the Dell Poweredge T20 any good?"

schoondoggy

The Dell can run 32GB of memory and XEON cpu's, that makes it much better than the N54L.

Dragon_Void

I'm convinced now.

Dragon_Void

Just one more question, I'm buying the one without a hard drive. Will I need my own sata cables, and power cables for the hard drives?

schoondoggy

I think there are power cables, but there are only two SATA cables.

Dragon_Void

Will I need a raid controller? I'm not planning on using raid on this server. Just a basic Ubuntu install, nothing more.