RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Cow1200

Serva - need a video how/to

Cow1200

Very little info out there on Youtube about Serva.  If anyone is up to speed how about a how/to video.  

I think the hole forum would love it.  I can say I think everyone is fed-up with DVD,USB install.  We do have servers for a reason.

Serva - all in one PXE boot software.

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/serva

Drashna Jaelre

Neat. 

Though, keep in mind, if you have Server 2012 or 2012R2, you have Windows Deployment services, which is dedicated to installing windows over the network. But can also be retasked to boot the client restore disk for Essentials. As well as any other WinPE based boot disk (such as EaseUS stuff, or ESET NOD32's offline scanner, or Windows Defender Offline).

In fact, in Server 2012 R2 Essentials, that is exactly what the "Client Restore Services" is doing.

Cow1200

Sadly only on WHS 2011 due to budget.

ikon

Don't be sorry about WHS2011. Yes, it's coming to EoL in the foreseeable future, but it's still a very good OS, and does have some advantages over 2012, especially for home users.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

EoL in 2016 (april of). So a year and a half still. Also, that's not counting the fact that the base OS (Server 2008R2) will still be getting updates, so WHS2011 should too. For a "few" more years.

Also, I don't remember if Server 2008R2 had the "stand alone" mode for WDS. If it does, that means it would work on WHS2011 just fine, in theory. May be worth installing the role just to find out.

Edited by Drashna (WGS)