RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP says they do not support WD Red drives...

riahc3

I called today to get a replacement on a N54L because a WD RED 3TB drive keeps disappearing from a WS2012R2 VM on ESXi. I replaced the drive with a new one from WD and it does the same thing.

I called, like I mentioned, to replace a N54L and they said that isn't supported or tested because it only uses HP's firmware. I was surprised because he basically tells me to use only their (HP) drives , like if it was any different. I asked the person I talked to if they don't sell 3TB drives and he told me that the max capacity is 8TB. I commented I know but I only have 1 3TB drive in the N54L so It should be supported. And he kept telling me that it only supports 8TB and what I put isn't supported.

He said I cannot get it replaced, only repaired, if there is anything wrong with it.

BTW, the serial number on this N54L wasn't even in their database and they told me that I had to send them proof of purchase in other to validate my warranty.

Is there somewhere written that only HP drives are supported?

Edited by riahc3

I think what thecRep was trying to tell you is they only troubleshoot HP drives.

Well, I asked him if this would happened with the supplied 250GB HP drive if they would replace it and he said no as well.

In theory BTW this was tech support, not a sales rep.

The Microservers are open to use your own drives. As stated above, HP is not going to help troubleshoot non-HP drives. 

Back to your original issue, have you checked all the cable connections?

Like jmwills and schoondoggy said, you can use non-HP drives in the MicroServer, but HP Tech Support will only help you with HP-supplied components.

Besides the cable connections, check the WD Red drive itself. Try the drive on another computer, see if it has any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to your original issue, have you checked all the cable connections?

What cable connections? The drive basically gets pushed all the way to the back in the cage that it is in.

I tried the 1st one (all the way to the left) and next to it. Same thing happens. 

Besides the cable connections, check the WD Red drive itself. Try the drive on another computer, see if it has any issues.

I had it replaced.

I connected to to a external eSATA enclosure on another PC.

It works perfectly. It doesn't work in the N54L internal cage.

Im not mad at any of you so don't take my frustrations as a attack Im just sick and tired of not being able to use the N54L as I wish.

There is a cable from the backplane to the motherboard. It is a good idea to check to be sure it is secured in place properly.

Are you running the latest BIOS?

I would try booting the system from a USB stick with a Linux OS, I use Knoppix, to see if the drive works with that. Just to rule out a driver issue.

First, reinstall the 250GB drive - to test the drive cage.

If the 250GB drive does NOT work, check the SFF plug that connects the drive cage to the motherboard. A number of people have had issues with this particular connection. Several of them have found that the plug looks as though it's properly and fully inserted in the jack but, on further checking, they've found that it wasn't all the way in. As soon as they managed to get the plug all the way into the jack everything started working.

Strictly speaking HP, here in the uk at least, HP dont support anything other than HP options in there servers.  If the server works fine without the non-HP part in it, they'll tell you to remove it - problem fixed according to them.  It doesnt help us out as they state that the maximum supported drive size is 2TB.  It got worse a couple of years ago too, when they stopped supporting non-HP memory too.  Now each HP DIMM has a serial number and is recorded.  Only HP smart-memory is supported.

Strangely enough I have a similar problem too.  I recently purchased two WD60EFRX drives for a N36L.  They have been installed in a W2012 R2 installation, and I cannot run them stable in a ReFS formatted, mirrored storage space with bitlocker enabled.  After about an hour, both drives just dissappear from the system.  Reboot doesnt bring them back, and they disappear from BIOS detection too.  Only a power-off and power-on restores access to the drives.

The funny thing is that I already have a WD30EFRX in there, and it has been behaving perfectly for a year.  Its just these new drives.  The only thing I can think of is that these new 6TB ones are "NASWARE 3" whereas the 3TB's are Nasware 2.

In my case I'm now trying to run the extended SMART tests on both drives, and operate them independently.  If they dont disappear then I'll try "SATA RAID" BIOS mode rather than "SATA AHCI" mode.  Unfortunately this wont be an option for you as ESXi cannot see drives attached to the AMD raid controller.

Personally, I think it's an incompatability between the SATA controller and these new Red drives - which is a shame as I can't see it getting fixed soon, if at all, on these AMD microservers.  The link to the AMD chipset drivers from the hp support pages has been dead for ages, and the generic AMD SB8xx drivers dont work on the microserver.

Hi too!