RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP's Policy and downloads just keep restarting

Maniac_au

Hi all,

Have had a Gen 8 micro server for just under a year due to personal issues it wasn't used went to update it before having a play and find out I only have 3 days to download everything I need, main issue I am have is on the ISO files it keeps restarting @ 0 gets to 20% then looses the link and restarts again.

When I bought it like a lot of others this policy wasn't in place.

Being in Australia there appears to be some sort of away around this if you send them an email?

I am correct on this or will I have to suck it up & spend more money.

This was bought for home use as a media server/player.

Bill

Try running the OS in Safe Mode with networking.  These are Windows updates, right?  And if so, select only a few at a time.  This restart could be a heat issue so have you isolated that possibility?

Based on the Subject I'm assuming he means HP updates (BIOS, B120i, etc.).

Maniac_au, I would send HP an email, even if you can get the updates. They may extend your warranty period as a public relations gesture.

Has anyone noticed whether HP is really enforcing their policy with the Gen8?  I've found it fairly easy to download updates without having to jump through hoops.  I do have the CarePack, but I haven't had to log into my HP Insight portal to get anything.

I've not found in recent times that HP seems to care much about PR gestures, unless the backlash is pretty big.  I recently had an experience where I found that their P4014, 4015, and 4515 LaserJets have an issue where if the optional paper feeder and/or duplexer aren't removed prior to a firmware update, it will brick the feeder or duplexer.  This is not mentioned on HP's support page, nor in the firmware update readme --apparently, HP's docs are based on printers that don't have the accessories.  This issue is known by HP support, though.  If your printer is out of warranty though, those damaged parts are on you, not them.

Wish I'd actually been able to read about this before having to purchase a support call and find out I had to replace a paper feeder.

Hi HP got back to me gave me an ftp access to the latest Service Pack that apparently has all the latest files as of just now. That appears to be the extent of their help.

Better than nothing I suppose.

Bill