RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DC / DNS Setup For Dummies

Hi,

Set up my Win2012R2E but I have a lot of best practice errors, all talking about the fact the DC cannot register with the DNS e.g. The domain controller XXXXXX muyst be able to reach a DNS server and retrieve DNS records that are associated with this domain controller

I've seen on other posts [in this forum] mentions that in a home set up, you need to faff about with the DNS settings, possibly even make the server be the DHCP host, rather than my router. If this is the case, and Win2012R2E doesn't just work out of the box, is it written down anywhere what these steps (or the choice of steps depending on preference are)?

Or should I just re-install?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• IanH

• jmwills

• Poppapete

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You, sir, are a baaaaaad man.......

Reinstall becsuse by default the server has the DNS role installed but can't remember if the DHCP role is. The default DNS SERVER entry for the server should be 127.0.0.1

The DC and DNS are the 2 most important items to have on Windows servers when you have a Windows Domain. I would prefer to keep the DHCP on a Windows server as well, but it's not nearly as important.

In order to get the connector software to work on one of my PCs, I had to make the server the Preferred DNS choice be the server (by editing the Ethernet IPv4 properties)

Pretty sure the DNS Role is active - is the idea that I'm supposed to set every application to have the Preferred DNS choice as the server (including the server itself, and my router)?

You should not have to do that, but there is a good article here on how to avoid making the clinet accept the Server as the primary DNS server and keep your router as the primary, if you so desire.

http://www.tinkertry.com/how-to-make-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-client-connector-install-behave-just-like-windows-home-server/

As jmwills said, you should not have to manually alter the DNS settings. When you join a client computer to the Domain it should automatically have its IP settings, including DNS, updated to point to the Windows server.

Ok so having the Primary DNS on the clients as the server is correct .... so thinking about the best practice issues I am seeing, should the Primary DNS on the server also be the server? (since it is running the DNS Role)

a-ha! that definitely solved (by which I mean removed) a lot of the best Practice messages. I'm assuming that this is a good thing, but it would be good to check that what I did was correct (as in made it like it supposed to be). Not sure why this isn't set by the installation - I thought the whole point about Essentials is that there is only the one server on the domain, otherwise you have to cough up for the more expensive versions, so isn't the only set-up that would ever work having the Primary DNS on the network adapter to being the server itself?

sorry, to give a running commentary - so when I rechecked the above, there was one error left for the best practice analyser, and complaining about having the server as the 1st entry, so I added the router back in as the 1st entry and made the server the second, but then I'm back to square one (sort of) - e.g. the DNS server must resolve PDC resource records for the domain controller. There are definitely less BPA entries than initially, but still some

Sort of stuck, can't see how you get an external DNS server (i.e. from my ISP) to resolve my internal domain names, nor do I particularly want to

sorry, jmwills - just noticed your Primary DNS settings ... that yields the same BPA result as putting the servers own ipv4 address in (namely just one error about DNS servers should include the loopback address but not in the first entry). Looking in the DNS manager, am I right in thinking that under the Reverse Lookup zones, 127.0.01 is set to point to the local host? (this would explain the behaviour).

I presume that if this is how others have it set up, I should just ignore the last BPA message? It gives the consequence as being that Active Directory might not be able to reach its replication partners, but I am guessing on a one server / home network I don't have any, so not really an issue