RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
LoneWolf

New toys for the home LAN/Lab...

LoneWolf

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/album/105-my-lan/

Just got my "new" (well, mint) switch on eBay for half the price of new.  Cisco SG300-10MPP.  For the price, I can't think of anything this switch can do, and it's fanless, so it's quiet as well.  It does use a monster power brick for the PoE+, but that's a price worth paying.  If you want to learn managing a switch from the command-line, this is a great switch to start with, it's commandline is similar to Dell Powerconnect switches, which means it's like iOS, but not exactly.  If you don't want to learn CLI, the GUI is pretty good too.

On top is a Watchguard XTM-25W firewall.  I got my certification, so I got it inexpensively (they give you a deal when you get the cert).  I won't use the wireless, but I may use the firewall at the head-end and switch my ASUS router to access point.  Otherwise, I'll just use it to keep up with clients.

gallery_4021_105_248561.jpg

• Like 1

LoneWolf

More fun.  Still in the configuration process --but I can now say I have fiber in the home.  :D

Top switch is a Netgear GS110TP.  Eight PoE ports, two SFP ports, and a number of great Layer-2 features (LAGG, QoS, VLANs) in a tiny fanless box for a reasonable price.  The Cisco's interface is definitely faster, and the Netgear doesn't have command-line options, but it's a great device for the money.

I'm still planning the network;  I'm looking at putting the WatchGuard XTM-25W in as my main firewall, with its wireless turned off, going to the Cisco, and linking the Cisco on the basement floor via 25m of fiber cable to the Netgear on the upper floor.  I have yet to decide whether I'm going to run the Cisco in Layer 2 or Layer 3 mode.

Also, at that point, I'll relegate my ASUS RT-AC87 from router duty to access point.  Long term, I may look for some PoE access points when I can get exactly what I want without paying an arm and a leg.  Cisco makes an AC small business point priced reasonably that can be clustered, but I've heard complaints about range and bugs in the first few firmware releases.

gallery_4021_105_74348.jpg

• Like 1

ikon

I see you're using pre-terminated cables. Have you ever used, or considered, the Belden FiberExpress Brilliance products? I was just wondering how they are to use.

LoneWolf

I see you're using pre-terminated cabled. Have you every used, or considered, the Belden FiberExpress Brilliance products? I was just wondering how they are to use.

I haven't used them.  Fiber patch cables are quite inexpensive if you search.  In this case, I only need a short run (probably 10-15 meters), and found IBM 25 meter cables online.  It's going from one floor to the next, the run is straight up.

I went slightly longer just to allow a bit of attenuation if necessary, though I'd think that's unlikely.  I found inexpensive used Cisco GBICs from a Microsoft-certified refurbisher online, and they work fine on the Netgear switch as well, a good thing considering that Netgear's OEM models (ironically) cost considerably more.

I looked at the tools you listed above;  if I was doing multiple runs, distance runs, or making regular work out of it, I'd definitely consider it.  Of course, there are about 3-4 thousand-plus dollar Fluke network tools I'd love to have too that I never will.  :D

schoondoggy

If you ever need more GBIC's or SFP's let me know.