RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
brian6700

whs 2003 trouble with ahci drivers

brian6700

Hi,

I recently tried installing whs 2003 onto an intel board (ECS NM70-TI, V1.0A) but ran into trouble when trying to add the sata drivers during the installation.  I used the load drivers button and located the newest version of the sata drivers from the motherboard disk, and it appeared to accept it without error, but once it rebooted during the installation, I could only use the ide mode in bios otherwise it was in an endless reboot loop when ahci was used.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

diehard

I've seen this happen. The only way I was able to get around it was to complete the WHS installation using IDE. Then once your connector is installed and the server is up and running. Then try to update the drivers.

brian6700

Thanks Diehard, I will give that a try.

ikon

I can't help wondering why you're not running WHS2011...

brian6700

Hi ikon,

Yes, I'd love to, but there seems to be a bit of a shortage of whs 2011 these days.  The ones that I have found online (like on ebay) are pretty expensive.

Drashna Jaelre

A couple of ways to do this.

Diehard's method does work... but it's a bit more "out of the way" and may have issues.

You could integrate the two different drives (vista drive for the winPE image, aka "boot.wim" for the first part, and then XP/2003 drivers for the second part). This is more complicated and requires that you know what you're doing.

Alternatively, there is the "XFiles Edition" which has a bunch of drivers integrated already and may work better for you.

ikon

Hi ikon,

Yes, I'd love to, but there seems to be a bit of a shortage of whs 2011 these days.  The ones that I have found online (like on ebay) are pretty expensive.

Yeah, I hear that. Unfortunately, it's become pretty scarce these days.

Al_Borges

One solution is to slipstream the drivers using a customized install disk using something like nlite

http://www.nliteos.com/

I've used this to integrate service packs with my stock OS install disks since XP

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

Drashna Jaelre

Ugh

Be VERY careful when you use nLite. It can screw up things royally. Take my word. 

Also, to customize the install disk, you need the Vista x86 drivers for the initial install process (the "boot.wim" file), and then nlite for the SVR_2003 folder.  If you don't do both, it may not work.

Which is why I recommended the XFiles Edition. I built it myself, did a lot of testing for it, and it should work in MOST cases.

diehard

Check this. Boot your server in IDE mode and check the registry to see if you have a folder called msahci. If so you may be in luck.

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.