RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Advice prior to replacing RAID card

yud

How do everyone test real performance and transfer speed?

I managed to score a P410 with 512MB and BBWC. But before I replace my currently installed Adaptec 2405 I would like to perform some "before" and "after" tests, to see which adapter performs better.

My setup is:
N54L, 8GB ECC RAM, Adaptec 2405 RAID card (to be replaced by the P410), ESXi 5.5 booted from flash drive, 2 x RAID1 arrays.
One of my VM's is running Ubuntu Server 14 and is used for NFS storage and Plex streaming. I'm guessing this is where I'm going to do the tests to/from.

The N54L is connected to a gigabit Cisco switch.

Any recommendations for real speed testing? Or should I just use Windows copy/paste to/from my NFS share?

(I would like to test the performance difference between the RAID cards, not necessarily the network speed).

Will appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Y.

You could try it, but I have not had great luck running benchmarks from VM's.

I think it would be best if you could run it from a physical OS.

You could try it, but I have not had great luck running benchmarks from VM's.

I think it would be best if you could run it from a physical OS.

mmm....

This will beat the purpose for me...

I would like to test performance of my existing infrastracture under the 2 different cards...

Installing a physical OS will not do the trick...

Thanks anyway for the advice and the super fast response!

One more question:

Does anyone know if the RAID structure of the Adaptec and HP RAID cards are the same? Will the P410 be able to pickup the RAID1 arrays created by the Adaptec 2405? Or do I need to nuke it all and start fresh? (I know I will be able to import my VM's)

OK, I don't know for certain, but it seems unlikely to me that a P410 would pick up an Adaptec's RAID config.

Thank you. That's what I thought.

BUT...

To my surprise...

Performed the upgrade over the weekend. Installed the P410 and installed a fresh copy of HP ESXi 5.1 to USB flash drive (my previous install was HP 5.5).

When I pointed ESXi to the datastore I was prompted with a question if I want to use an existing disk signature, create a new one or format.

I selected "existing", and to my surprise ESXi picked up the entire contents of my previous 5.5 datastore (VM's, ISO files, etc).

I imported my VM's to the inventory and was up and running in minutes.

So...

It appears the P410 picked up the RAID1 data created by the Adaptec 2405.

(I'm posting this in case it helps anyone in the future).

Now it's time to give Xpenology another go (which was the drive behind this whole array controller replacement).