RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Are Green Drives KILLING Your NAS? WD Red HD Review!

itGeeks

If your using desktop hard drives in a NAS or in a RAID of any sort then watch this YouTube video as to y you should not use regular desktop hard drives and instead spend the extra few dollers and get NAS rated hard drives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyA1AZdyy6o

Edited by MrFixit
  • Like 1

awraynor

I had very poor results with Green Drives in general. I only Red Drives now. 

BSR

Interesting discussion, although the scary headline is a bit over the top.

They mainly focused on large RAID systems with hardware controllers.  If your NAS has a single drive or just 2-3 in a software RAID I don't think it's a big deal.  I use WD Reds in my Synology boxes, but if I had Greens I wouldn't swap them until I was ready to upgrade.

oj88

I don't think it's over the top. Though it's true that you'll probably get away with using Greens in a NAS, but that's only up to the point when a drive starts developing problems.

I have 3 spare WD Greens that I decided to re-purpose as backup disks. Together with an old Intel SS4000-E NAS, I did RAID 5 on the three disks. Everything worked for several weeks but then one day, one of the three Greens dropped out of the array. I'd rebuild the array but the same drive would drop out spanning a matter of days to a couple of weeks. I then just removed the failing drive and reconfigured the remaining disks for RAID 1. It's been humming along for months without problems. But I suspect that a misplaced bit on one of those disks could set it off again. I am replacing these with Reds when the time comes.

StanHD

Hmm, I have been running 3 years 24/7 with 4 x 2 Tb WD Green Drives in raid 5. One is a "hot spare". Have had one pre-emptive failure so far which I guess should at least be expected. Perhaps I am just lucky?

BSR

The title of the video would lead me to believe that if I'm running Green drives my NAS is in danger and needs immediate attention.  Yet the people in the video don't come to that conclusion at all.  The one with the Drobo full of Greens intends to leave it that way until he has to replace them.  The title might have been more informative if it read, "Green Drives Probably Not the Best Choice for NAS -- Here's Why". 

I found the video informative, but I hate being sucked in by scary titles like that.

I don't think it's over the top. Though it's true that you'll probably get away with using Greens in a NAS, but that's only up to the point when a drive starts developing problems.

Dave

I have a whole stack of "Greens" that I ran on multiple different machines, software, and scenarios. Nary a problem at any time.  BUT...  They are in a stack on my shelf now and not in any RAID configuration.  I recommend WD Red's now.

Heck, we all used them. Red's weren't even a choice back when I was buying greens.  Blacks and Blues were but the black drives were almost double the price so I threw more Greens at the problem!

Great video though.

itGeeks

The title of the video would lead me to believe that if I'm running Green drives my NAS is in danger and needs immediate attention.  Yet the people in the video don't come to that conclusion at all.  The one with the Drobo full of Greens intends to leave it that way until he has to replace them.  The title might have been more informative if it read, "Green Drives Probably Not the Best Choice for NAS -- Here's Why". 

I found the video informative, but I hate being sucked in by scary titles like that.

Sorry if I offended you or anyone else with the title of my thread, It was not meant to be some scare tactic to get people to buy WD Reds but rather an informative post. If Dave or Chris want to change the title of my post to what you recommend "Green Drives Probably Not the Best Choice for NAS -- Here's Why" I would be fine with that.

BSR

Sorry if I offended you or anyone else with the title of my thread, It was not meant to be some scare tactic to get people to buy WD Reds but rather an informative post. If Dave or Chris want to change the title of my post to what you recommend "Green Drives Probably Not the Best Choice for NAS -- Here's Why" I would be fine with that.

Oh, that wasn't directed at you -- it was about the Tekzilla people who produced/titled the video.  You were just passing that information along.  No offense taken, and I did appreciate the content!  Certainly there's no need to change the post or thread.

• Like 1

Dave

Agreed. Good conversation too.