RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Concerned about backup strategy for HyperV Server...

tswalker

I was planning to provide iSCSI Target storage for the HyperV Server (2012 R2), but am concerned with how I will be backing up those virtual machines.

If the file server has the iSCSI Target Storage Provider and runs a backup of the VDI storage volume, does it "just work" with the HyperV Server initiator?

Or is it the case, that the HyperV Server must run the backups or signal the VSS Provider on the file server running iSCSI Target?

This is confusing me obviously.

If you're backing up the iSCSI provider, then I think that should be fine. And preferred, for the most part.

thanks for the reply Drashna, I've run a few backups now this way and it does seem to "just work"... I have yet to run that last yard and do a restore of the VM, but backups appear to be working.

You really need to do a restore. A backup system can't truly be considered functional until it's proven that the backups can be restored.

• Like 1

98% there...

checked backup from last night, and did a restore on a differencing VHDX for my Essentials VM on my iSCSI Target server. Restoration worked.

I was able to create a copy of the original parent VHDX, and modify the parenting chain for the restored differencing VHDX. I have yet to set it up as a secondary VM, hook up MPIO to it, and get it running on the HyperV Server, I guess that is the last 2% of my run-through. (perhaps I'll get to that tonight)

Changing the parent path on the restored (copy) differencing VHDX was a bit tricky. The iSCSI Target server is not running any HyperV modules (the server is not able to), so the nice cmdlets are not available. I had to do it remotely from the HyperV Server by mapping to the SMB shares of those disks and execute the cmdlets remotely. Lucky (and I verified), the path references retained their localized states related to the iSCSI server and did not inherit pathing based on the HyperV host. This is awesome.... I tried for a couple hours to get that figured out, and it works.

Edited by tswalker

I like your approach, keeping your existing production setup intact while you test that restoration works. Glad to hear it's all working well so far.

well.. I'm glad I followed through earlier and did that last 2% to get an idea of how the complete process will work for me...

... 'cause as of today, I FUBAR'd my Essentials install and somehow managed to completely break Remote Desktop Services (I have no clue how, probably due to messing around with Certificates) and had to do a restore on the differencing VHDX file.

Had the system back up and running in just a few minutes... felt great.

Install the RSAT stuff, under features. Or by dism.  That will give you the cmdlets to do that stuff. Don't need the role, just the RSAT stuff.

Details about dism and enabling it here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449483(v=WS.10).aspx

It's for Win8, so ignore the "install" bits for the administrative tools pack.

And yes, if you mess with the installed server certificates (especially in IIS), you WILL break the Remote Desktop Gateway. And speaking of RSAT stuff, the tools are not installed by default, so you'd have to install that to fix it, if you wanted to do it manually (I've done this, it's "simple" once you know what you're doing, or if you're just a glutton for punishment)

(I've done this, it's "simple" once you know what you're doing, or if you're just a glutton for punishment)

lol... I've always been one, sometimes the only way to learn is to break it and then fix it :D