RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
richlars

Streaming devices not seeing WHS.

richlars

With so many things going on I have put my WHS 2011 problems on the back burner.  There has to be a simple solution to this, but it being evasive.  My router (Asus RT-AC68U 802.11ac) is seeing the WHS and the two streaming devices PS3 and Samsung BD5900 Bluray console)  All computers are seeing the WHS but the two streaming devices are not.  I have made sure all folders are shared.  What am I missing?

Thanks, Rich

Equinox

Firewall exceptions maybe, on the server??

oj88

Been a long time since I've setup my brother's PS3 to access WHS2011. But if memory serves me, I don't recall the PS3 being able to see the shares directly unless WHS2011 is running a DLNA service (whether the native one or 3rd party like Plex).

ikon

Yeah, I think most non-Windows devices will need to have the server running DLNA. I seem to recall my WD Live needing it.

Renny

If the inbuilt option doesn't work, just install http://serviio.org/ , This will fix it for sure.

richlars

OK, I installed Serviio. First time DL the exe file and it installed on my client computer.  Looks like a great media server.  Then I finally found the MSI file and it is installed as an add-in on the WHS.  But the streaming devices are still not seeing it. I agree that there must be a firewall exception or something.  At first I swear they were seeing the WHS, but not the folders in the drivepool.  Whatever I did in tinkering made the entire WHS invisible to the devices.

I decided to dig into my Home Server 2011 Unleashed book and can plainly see I really need to do a lot of reading.  IT never really dawned on me how different networking was than the PC work I am used to..

Drashna Jaelre

What exists (physical) between the server and the devices? wireless/wired? Switches? etc.