RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iPhone 4? Anyone got it? Dave?

Jazman

So, with the recent addition of some into the Apple "experience", did anyone go out and jump on the iPhone 4? If so, what are your impressions.

I know I stated in another thread that I wasn't going to upgrade (my wife and I both have the 3G version), but now I'm reconsidering. I looked at the leading Android phones in person and while pretty, don't quite match up to the iPhone. It might be that I am just too used to the iPhone. The real nail in the coffin is that, while I may be willing to go to Android, my wife probably won't. So, the wife-acceptance-factor is coming into play.

So, for those jumped, what are your quick, initial impressions?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• Jazman

• cskenney

• fasthair

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have the iPhone4, but i did put iOS4 on my 3GS 32gig unit, I have actually noticed apps open with a slight pause now, I hope the iPhone4 is not the same, but it does have twice the OS RAM that the GS model has (512 vs 256).

The universal mailbox is really nice.

I don't know if I am the best person to ask since I'm moving from an old HTC WinMo phone straight to the iPhone 4. I can tell you that I have thoroughly enjoyed the phone thus far. The screen is amazing and it's a very easy phone to use but you should be used to all that by now. Apps and performance is very good. I'm enjoying the apps but i think the thing i like most is having a great camera with me at all times. The camera is awesome and the 720 video is excellent as well. These may seem like silly things to someone who has had a good phone with them for a while but remember that I have been with winmo for the last two years. After using the 4 it's hard to even look at the old winmo phone without scoffing at it.

It's not without issues though as I'm sure you have read. I have signal issues but they are far different from what "city folk" are experiencing. I have ZERO 3G coverage where I live and find it hard to get a decent connection inside my home. This is simply due to my proximity to the nearest tower and not an iPhone issue. It's the same on Verizon and Sprint inside my home. I'm in a slight depression in the landscape as well as being far from the nearest tower.

I also have small signal issues on some of my daily commute areas but every 3G area i have been in has been superb. This is my first 3G phone and I was amazed at the data speed. I have had no issues in 3G areas no matter how i held the phone. I never even thought about how I was holding it really but in experimenting with the "death grip" issue I can confirm it is an issue. The bars simply disappear right in front of you.

I'm currently testing the AT&T MicroCell. It's upstairs registering to AT&T as I type. If it is stable and gives me good voice quality in the house I will probably keep the 4. If it's unstable in any way all of this gear will be going back to AT&T. I started phone shopping last December so it pains me to send it back but the coverage in my area needs to improve before I get locked into another 2 years with a carrier. I could probably handle it but I also bought the wife a 16Gb iPhone and if we can't make calls in the house then it's back to USCellular. They have the coverage here but no 3G and they are far behind on phone offerings. They do have an HTC Desire coming out on July 9th so I would probably go with that.

I don't blame anyone for the coverage issues in my house. It's just the way things are in some rural areas.

I think if you have the 3G phone right now I would wait before jumping into a 4 if you have coverage issues. If you are doing good with the 3G then I don't see any reason why the 4 wouldn't be equally as good for you. From the 3G's I have played with and held the 4 is much nicer. If you hold the phone in your left hand then don't get it! Isn't that messed up? That should not be an issue with a phone but it is with this one. And yes, it's an issue with many phones in one way or another but with the 4 it's a real issue. A case will solve it but you shouldn't have to buy a case to use it.

The "haters" can now chime in with their barbs but you asked a legitimate question as a 3G owner. I think your right on the Android wife issue though.

I dont have the iPhone4, but i did put iOS4 on my 3GS 32gig unit, I have actually noticed apps open with a slight pause now, I hope the iPhone4 is not the same, but it does have twice the OS RAM that the GS model has (512 vs 256).

The universal mailbox is really nice.

With the 3G model, there is a significant delay in opening apps. There is also a more than slight pause whenever you push a key. So, right now, I am very much regretting the iOS4 update. I would like to be able to go back to the 3.x version but I'm not sure you're able to. Other than that, I hope that they are able to make it work better with the 3G as it is absolutely frustrating.

For me, the only real feature I wanted in iOS4 was multiple exchange accounts. It's one of those "should have been there since the beginning" features. Universal inbox is a feature I don't want/won't use so I'm glad it's optional. I want to know which email account mails came from and which one things are going out from. It might be too easy to make a mistake with the universal inbox. But, I do understand some people want and use it so that's cool.

Keith

As I was reading, I was going to recommend you check out the femtocell, so I'm glad you're checking it out. I'd be interested to hear how well that gear works.

We get decent AT&T coverage here. I'm not city folk, but close enough that we get pretty decent coverage. But, once you get out of the area, it's back to 2G. My experience with Verizon wasn't much different however. Except with them, when data went away, it went AWAY.

The camera on the 3G sucks. I played with a 4G phone last night and as you said, THAT camera is really really nice. The lag from push to pic is nearly 0 and the quality is great as well.

Leaning strongly toward upgrading right now, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks for the early review!

Keith

I don't know if I am the best person to ask since I'm moving from an old HTC WinMo phone straight to the iPhone 4. I can tell you that I have thoroughly enjoyed the phone thus far. The screen is amazing and it's a very easy phone to use but you should be used to all that by now. Apps and performance is very good. I'm enjoying the apps but i think the thing i like most is having a great camera with me at all times. The camera is awesome and the 720 video is excellent as well. These may seem like silly things to someone who has had a good phone with them for a while but remember that I have been with winmo for the last two years. After using the 4 it's hard to even look at the old winmo phone without scoffing at it.

It's not without issues though as I'm sure you have read. I have signal issues but they are far different from what "city folk" are experiencing. I have ZERO 3G coverage where I live and find it hard to get a decent connection inside my home. This is simply due to my proximity to the nearest tower and not an iPhone issue. It's the same on Verizon and Sprint inside my home. I'm in a slight depression in the landscape as well as being far from the nearest tower.

I also have small signal issues on some of my daily commute areas but every 3G area i have been in has been superb. This is my first 3G phone and I was amazed at the data speed. I have had no issues in 3G areas no matter how i held the phone. I never even thought about how I was holding it really but in experimenting with the "death grip" issue I can confirm it is an issue. The bars simply disappear right in front of you.

I'm currently testing the AT&T MicroCell. It's upstairs registering to AT&T as I type. If it is stable and gives me good voice quality in the house I will probably keep the 4. If it's unstable in any way all of this gear will be going back to AT&T. I started phone shopping last December so it pains me to send it back but the coverage in my area needs to improve before I get locked into another 2 years with a carrier. I could probably handle it but I also bought the wife a 16Gb iPhone and if we can't make calls in the house then it's back to USCellular. They have the coverage here but no 3G and they are far behind on phone offerings. They do have an HTC Desire coming out on July 9th so I would probably go with that.

I don't blame anyone for the coverage issues in my house. It's just the way things are in some rural areas.

I think if you have the 3G phone right now I would wait before jumping into a 4 if you have coverage issues. If you are doing good with the 3G then I don't see any reason why the 4 wouldn't be equally as good for you. From the 3G's I have played with and held the 4 is much nicer. If you hold the phone in your left hand then don't get it! Isn't that messed up? That should not be an issue with a phone but it is with this one. And yes, it's an issue with many phones in one way or another but with the 4 it's a real issue. A case will solve it but you shouldn't have to buy a case to use it.

The "haters" can now chime in with their barbs but you asked a legitimate question as a 3G owner. I think your right on the Android wife issue though.

So I am on the fence. It is being reported that iPhone 4 is coming to Verizon Wireless in January 2011. Since AT&T coverage is non-existent where I live my choices are Verizon or US Cellular. Verizon has a few Android phones on the market now, and US Cellular is trying to catch up.

My contract is up with Verizon and I have been looking at the HTC Incredible Smartphone they offer. One thing that is making me pause is the cost per month I am going to be paying for the luxury of a Smartphone for the wife and I. I also can't help but wonder if I should think about a 1 year commitment so I can switch phones again next summer rather than wait 2 years. Any thoughts?

Yea, I saw that as well. Remember, the iPhone coming to Verizon has been rumored for more than 2 years. The "press" I saw yesterday cited undisclosed sources and stated that neither the PR contact for Verizon nor Apple could be reached for comment.

So, for the time being, still just another unsubstantiated rumor. One can still hope however! If you hold off buying one, then whoever put out this "leak", accomplished their goal. I'll admit, I stopped and thought about it a little harder as well.

Keith

So I am on the fence. It is being reported that iPhone 4 is coming to Verizon Wireless in January 2011. Since AT&T coverage is non-existent where I live my choices are Verizon or US Cellular. Verizon has a few Android phones on the market now, and US Cellular is trying to catch up.

My contract is up with Verizon and I have been looking at the HTC Incredible Smartphone they offer. One thing that is making me pause is the cost per month I am going to be paying for the luxury of a Smartphone for the wife and I. I also can't help but wonder if I should think about a 1 year commitment so I can switch phones again next summer rather than wait 2 years. Any thoughts?

I have two 3Gs and upgraded to the IOS 4 and have loved it. It works so well that I almost do not need to upgrade to the 4. If indeed the 4 is coming to verizon, I may consider changing camps so I will wait and see what happens. In the mean time I am enjoying th OS upgrade so much I have trouble using my iPad now as I miss the key features on IOS 4 especially the multitasking and the unified inbox which is lifesaver.

If you have decent coverage I think you will be ok with the 4. One thing that I don't understand since Im a new AT&T customer is about the call drops. I was north of Madison wi yesterday and I dropped a call twice. Seems like there is a huge area of zero coverage between towers. After the call dropped it would showmno bars and then 5 bars seconds later. I cannot live with this. Is this the normal AT&T network?

If you have decent coverage I think you will be ok with the 4. One thing that I don't understand since Im a new AT&T customer is about the call drops...Is this the normal AT&T network?

Sadly, yes. I guess it really depends on which city/part of the country you're in, but here in STL, I drop calls quite a bit, and I don't even have an iPhone :(