RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 10 as a client...

tekguru

Okay so I bit the bullet and vaped my bloated Windows 8.1 install and replaced in with  sleek new Windows 10 install. So far so good.

Two issues:

1) I deleted the old machine from the R2 machine and ran the backup cleanup task manually. I did expect to recover storage space used by the PC I'd removed, it seems not, the storage pool is still 73% full.

2) On trying to join the Win 10 machine to the server I get the connector 'loader' downloading ok and it starts to grab the main connector but on trying to install reports:

Windows Server Essentials Connector has not been installed because:

Package installation did not succeed

Anyone any ideas?

There was a homegroup (as there is on the Win 8 PCs - I've had no problems adding them in to the server)**, but I've now removed it. Time Zone and Time is correct, and alas the same error occurs if I try to install the connector.  :(

I have added the reg edit change to stop the joining to the domain process.

I to upgraded my PC to Windows 10. I also installed Windows Server 10 with the Essentials role and get the same error as you. When you install the connector, it actually goes online to grab it with Server 2012 R2 Essentials unlike WHS2011 and WHS.

There must be an issue there that Microsoft hasn't fixed yet. I have not figured out a workaround.

Ah ha glad it is not just me :) If you figure it out yell out. A pity you can't force a machine to join from the server side.

I do wish I'd not deleted the backup of the old PC now on the server. Mind you it was the right thing to do. Now all I need to do is get the blasted space back!

There is a standalone download for the connector, however if you download it and try to run it it returns the error, " this update is not applicable to your computer".  So, WHS2011 it is for awhile.

• Like 1

Yep have found and tried that myself with the same results so looks like the main workstation will have to be backed  up to normal external drives in the interim. Strike 1.

On the other issue getting back the storage taken up by the backups which I've deleted, anyone any ideas on how to recover that space?

Don't forget, you may not see all that much space recovered. Since 'WHS' uses Single-Instance-Storage, a lot of the used backup space may be data that's also located on other Clients.

Will see how it goes over the next week and see how much (if any) is recovered. No real issue I guess until we get to the stage that the main Win 10 PC can be added in again.