RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Downloaders

Poppapete

After reading how long it took Joe_Miner to DL the W10TP I was wondering how others DL large files?

For many years I used Akamai DL Manager for the MS DL's but it does not work without a fix.

http://www.tinkertry.com/for-big-msdn-downloads-like-windows-technical-preview-you-may-want-akamai-download-manager/

I have tried a few and have settled on DownloadStudio which I use for all DL's and it integrates with RSS feeds for my weekly fix of podcasts from the likes of, Digital Media Zone,Windows Observer and The Home Server Show. I think I got theW10TP file in under 2 minutes.

RE:W10TP

Have loaded W10 in Hyper-V and find it only slightly better than 8. The ability to have the modern apps behave more like "real apps" by being able to resize and move them anywhere is a big plus for me but then again I thought how many modern apps do I use on my desktop, maybe 2.

Nice suggestion Poppapete. Unfortunately, since I use Untangle for my firewall, it won't work. There is a known incompatibility between the Akamai Downloader and UT. It can be gotten around, but it's a real PITA.

Poppapete

I too use UT which explains why I gave up on it and had to move to another.  DownloadStudio works fine with UT.

Poppapete

I use DownloadStudio for all large files and my RSS feeds. It opens 20 connections for an RSS feed.