RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replacement for Windows Media Center

Getting back to the topic, I really think the writing is on the wall for WMC (if it wasn't already) Why?

Plex is now on the Xbone; their preferred "living room" device.

Just my 2cents.

MS has already stated that WMC has no future. I've never seen where they said, "It's dead" but they've said everything short of that.

Now if only they'd add tuner support in Plex. I only use WMC to launch Plex Home Theater these days. Occasional Live TV.

Drashna Jaelre

MS has already stated that WMC has no future. I've never seen where they said, "It's dead" but they've said everything short of that.

It's why it's an add-on pack for Windows 8. :(

And why it wasn't part of WHS2011.

Now if only they'd add tuner support in Plex. I only use WMC to launch Plex Home Theater these days. Occasional Live TV.

Would be nice....

Would be nice if Plex allowed you to download subtitles, and choose them. It's a huge frustration on my part.

Though, you could use XBMC with the Plex plug-in, to get "all of the above".

Additionally, you could use a different program to record TV and then use sickbeard to post process and update in plex.

My 30 day trial of the Jriver Media center is just about complete - this is what I have learned. 

Definitely a contender.     Out of the box support for all modern codecs,  Good Theatre view for HTPC usage, yet fully functioning desktop mode  (  I remote desktop into the HTPC to manage my content at times )

Seems quite a bit "snappier" than WMC.   I have a large  media collection ~100 gigs of music and navigating was just as easy as WMC. 

You can rip audio/video directly into the media library,  although encrypted disks will need anydvd . 

A bit of a high learning curve, due to the large number of options/ customizations possible.    Good support from vendor,  good forum for community support. 

at 50 bucks,  this is definitely competitive to upgrading to a "pro" version of windows 8, then paying additional money for an app

This has some of the features of MyMovies for library tagging of videos, so this is also a benefit. 

If I where setting up a new HTPC,  I would go this direction.    I saw vinylfreaks HTPC setup in action and my experience confirms his.    

If you have a working WMC and are happy with the performance and codec support, then I dont see a compelling reason to switch.   

With regards to TV Recording -  I have limited usage of this , as I have only 1 tuner and 1 TV station ( !)    but the system worked for me.   program guide is good

one advantage over Windows media center is that you have options for the recording format -  standard video containers that don't have to be converted to use in other programs

dont know about post processing to skip thru commercials and such.  

There are channels to view hdhomerun tuners to do that but its not completely stable yet though....  I personally just use the media app for now on my xbox one but the channels do work for roku and other devices.  https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/101755-hdhomerun-viewer/

Now this is just live tv and no dvr functions but I don't need dvr in plex with my system.... already have that covered but its nice to be able to watch live tv too through plex.

Edited by jagowar