RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replacement for Windows Media Center

Al_Borges

At some point We are going to have to migrate away from WMC.     -  I would be surprised if it is even offered in Windows 10 -  the support in Win 8 has been woeful 

During the Homeserver show meet up last month,  Vinylfreak had setup  his HTPC for demonstration -  his main media application  was Jriver media Center

VinylFreaks  HTPC layout is top notch -  both hardware and software and shared quite of bit of his know how with our group

was impressed with JRiver Media Center  and have been testing it with a free 30 day fully functional demo

The first one that I would consider a WMC like experience - especially for large music collections

it also has a well designed and workable TV/DVR support

of course,  I only have a single tuner - for the 1 ( yes)  over the air station I can receive.  But the Hardware support seems pretty good. 

They do charge for it -     but it may appear to worth it compared to XBMC -  which still seems a bit rough about the edges.

Has anyone else used it and what has been the long term experience ?

I too am in a similar situation. Am running a Ceton ETH 6 tuner with Windows 7 MC for Live TV. Never knew JRiver existed.

• 2 weeks later...

XBMC.

It doesn't support PVR directly. But it supports a bunch of different backends for PVR.  As well as plenty of different skins, and a whole bunch of plug-ins for additional content.

At some point We are going to have to migrate away from WMC.     -  I would be surprised if it is even offered in Windows 10 -  the support in Win 8 has been woeful 

Entertainment 2.0 #298 is actually subtitled "WMC in Windows 10". Worth listening to if your into WMC.

http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2014/10/09/entertainment-2-0-298-wmc-in-windows-10/

As noted in the next topic it does change the properties of Windows 10 to 8.1 such that updates to 10 are no longer available.  The point being WMC works fine in the 10 preview.

What I wanted to have is a discussion on alternatives to WMC going forward,

It "works" in windows 8  if you call having to pay twice as much for the "pro" version, then an additional charge for a program that is as close to orphaned as it can get.

Agreed. We need an up to date, modern alternative.

There are many apps that do some of our requirements but not ONE that does it all.

The saddest part about WMC and the "love" that Microsoft has been showing it, is that it was pretty much the first multi-tuner, multi-room DVR solution, and years ahead of TiVo and such, IIRC. And Microsoft didn't market it. Just like WHS. Makes me mad and bitter.

MS has had a habit of developing way ahead of the curve and then cutting products just as the market is starting to catch up. It's uncanny how often they manage to screw it up. PDA anyone? Tablet? WMC? The list goes on.