RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Confused by G.Skill memory choices

I am looking for  8GB (2x4GB) of DDR3-1333 memory for a ASRock H81M-HDS mb

G.Skill has a dozen choices !

I am not interested in overclocking - does this narrow it down ? Also have $80 limit

any suggestions appreciated

Bill Clark

Windham, VT

Thanks - I actually did this, earlier, and was very impressed with how well ASRock has put the memory finder together...I was having a bit of TMI when I saw the original list...

schoondoggy

Your motherboard is rated up to DDR3-1600. I tend to buy the fastest memory rated for my board. Most of the numbers on the approved memory list are out of date, memory changes fast.

I make no guarantees, but I would buy anything on this list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006050%20600006127%20600006069&IsNodeId=1&name=8GB%20%282%20x%204GB%29

Thanks - Reason for 1333 was the 2 CPU's I was considering .. G3220 and G3258 which appear to only support 1333 this will be an inexpensive general purpose server (Server 2012 R2) for simulations for cert exams..

I may just wind up getting the TS-140 (under $250 w/4GB)

I am in no super hurry here, and will slowly (or maybe quickly) collect the parts as they come on sale ... every $10 adds up !

Just to be clear, you can use faster memory anywhere you can use slower. IOW, if your CPU only supports 1333, you can use 1600 without issue: it will just run slower than it's capable of going. Now, it's true, it's a bit of a waste to run faster RAM at a slower speed, as you're paying for faster but not using it at it's max.

Yes - good point, and I suppose I would never really "see" the diff between to two speeds of memory ... my biggest focus is on compatibility, and being able to ignore speed as afactor makes choices easier...feel like I am splitting hairs, but if mb supports 1600 mem, I will shop for that..and am willing to wait for a good deal.

putting together a box like this is a good exercise :D ..