RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Microserver Raid 1 disk replacement

JonWill

Newbie here, and not sure if I'm posting in the correct place!

I have a HP Proliant Microserver, with 4 drives installed, running WHS 2011.  Two of the drives installed when I set it up were running in a RAID 1 configuration.  Now one of these drives has failed.  I thought that the point of RAID 1 was the ability to drop a new drive in and have the mirror rebuild itself - however that does not seem to work!  The drive is in place, and recognised.  What I have tried:

• Going into the BIOS and setting the drive configuration to RAID.  This puts the system into a loop, and will not boot up WHS.  resetting to IDE goes back to normal
  • Looking at "Disk Management" in Server Manager shows the drive is in place.  Initially it showed the failed replication.  I have (after trying many things) removed the mirror.  However, now I cannot mirror to the new drive, as I assume it is slightly diffferent (the exact model drive was not available).

So, my questions:

• Is there any way to build a RAID 1 array on non-identical drives?
  • Can I mirror the remaining drive to my new non-odentical drive?
  • Can I uase an internal drive for a WHS 2011 server backup (the answer to this seems to be no)
  • Or do I, as seems the case, have to copy the data from the old drive the new drive, buy another one of these drives and set up a mirror?

Thanks for any help!

Jon

A question: what did you use to set up the mirror: the RAID chipset on the motherboard, or Disk Manager in WHS2011?

Yes, you can build mirrors using different sized drives - the mirror will be the size of the smaller drive.

In order to rebuild a broken mirror, the replacement drive must be as large, or larger than the remaining good drive. An alternative is to boot with the single good drive and shrink the partition you want to mirror so it is smaller than the drive you want to mirror to. I think this may only work when using Disk Manager, although some RAID chipsets might also support it.

Yes, you can use an internal drive as a destination for Windows Server Backup. The thing with WSB is that it wants the entire drive, not a partition on a drive, so you can't also use a WSB backup drive as a data drive.

Thanks. As far as I can remember it was a hardware RAID in the bios... But it was a few years ago. However I think I have removed the original array in did manage. How do I go about setting up a mirror with the remaining disk? When I try and set it up I get an error message saying that the sector size must be the same and valid. (I can only begin the operation when the new disc is unallocated.

Looking at using an internal disk for backup, how do I do this? The disk is not presented as an option in server backup...

Thanks for your help!

Jon

To prepare the new mirror drive, how about using DiskPart Clean? That should remove all formatting from the drive.

Regarding WSB, have a look at this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770266%28v=WS.10%29.aspx. It clearly says you can use internal drives. It might help to do a DiskPart Clean on the backup drive too.

Thanks for this - I was trying to use Windows Server backup through the WHS 2011 dashboard... the proper approach is much more flexible!  Thanks!

Jon