RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote Web Access Computer Missing

revengineer

Good evening,

i have an issue I could use some help with. I built a new Windows 7 PC and added it to my Windows Server 2012 Essentials domain. The computer shows up correctly in the dashboard. Backing up works fine. Also clicking the "Remote Desktop to the Computer" link in the dashboard running on the server lets me establish a connection to the new PC. However, when logging into the Remote Web Access page, the new PC does not show up at all in the list of client computers to connect to. I have done my share of searching but came up empty. Does anyone have a clue what to do?

Thanks a bunch in advance. 

Are you trying this remote access from inside or outside you LAN? Some routers don't know how to handle this internal traffic so I'd suggest trying this from outside your LAN first to verify this an issue or try modifying the host file with an entry for the server.

Is this the only machine that has issues?

Are you trying this remote access from inside or outside you LAN? Some routers don't know how to handle this internal traffic so I'd suggest trying this from outside your LAN first to verify this an issue or try modifying the host file with an entry for the server.

Is this the only machine that has issues?

I cannot get this new machine to show up on the Web page at all, so I cannot even try to connect. My other machine show up and I can connect, even internally. I can connect via rdp to this new machine so rdp is working correctly. I will check remotely from work today.

Can you rdp from the client thru a normal rdp session using the built in RDP tool? I'd also try removing it from the console and then removing the connector software from the client and starting over if you cannot connect.

Would it be possible for us to try and hit the landing page by supplying the URL?

I found it, it's completely stupid. Apparent each user must be authorized to access the machine. So a simple checkmark was missing in the user tab of the dashboard. Sometimes Microsoft and I just don't think alike...

Good deal.  And in some case that operation is set to only accept the most secure RDP connection.

Good deal. And in some case that operation is set to only accept the most secure RDP connection.

Yes, that was one of the first things are checked. In the end the problem was much simpler. Thanks.

Yes, each user does have to be authorized - it's a security measure.

Not saying that this does not make sense. I just had not thought of it. Microsoft troubleshooting should mention this as the first thing to check. In any case, happy now, just need to write this down for the next time. Thanks.