RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 system build advice needed

hfournier

I'm not sure anyone said they're looking to run a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (i.e. Thin Clients). I got the impression the OP simply wants to install Win7 or Win8 and then remote in to them. I'm under the impression that this is different from VDI: i.e. VDI is a specific technology that's different from simple Remote Desktop.

Well, Microsoft Licensing required that a Windows Desktop Software inside a VMs (VDI, Hyper-V, Xen, Vmware, etc) should be licensed with either the full product package w/ Software Assurance (give you the rights to virtualize your licence) or to loan the licence as a VDI licence. Thin clients are only a method to use the licence. RDP and Thin Client are the same thing ; 2 means to acces the desired virtual computer.

Details

Licensing the Windows Desktop Operating System

For Windows operating system software licensed through retail (FPP) or preinstalled on a PC (OEM), Windows use rights are outlined in the Software License Terms that accompany the software. These license terms provide use rights to run Windows locally on the licensed device in a virtual operating system environment (OSE); however they do not provide use rights for accessing Windows running remotely in a virtual OSE from the licensed device, and are limited in other ways when compared to virtualization use rights provided with Windows Software Assurance, Windows Intune, and Windows VDA licenses acquired through Microsoft Volume Licensing. For example, neither FPP nor OEM licenses permit remote access to a Windows virtual machine (VM) running in a datacenter. For this, a license obtained through Microsoft Volume Licensing is required.

Note:

Software License Terms for FPP or OEM can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

OK, I see that. In that case, accessing the VM locally on the host computer should be OK?

Should be :)

Microsoft is a pain in the ass (well....when are they not ? :) ) when it comes with licensing...

Edited by 687Michel

I agree that VDI is needed. However, we still don't have an answer to our question about VMs on the server.

And, the licensing debate has kinda side-tracked the whole reason for my post, which was to get feedback on the hardware choices for this build.

I agree that VDI is needed. However, we still don't have an answer to our question about VMs on the server.

And, the licensing debate has kinda side-tracked the whole reason for my post, which was to get feedback on the hardware choices for this build.

Well I would say Samsung EVO for SSD quality/price....and for the processor, I would upgrade to a Xeon. Hyperhtreading and multi-core will help you a lot.

Thanks.

The system requirements for WS2012 R2 is 160GB OS drive, but I was wondering if you could use a smaller SSD if you're just installing Hyper-V role. If so, then I could get 120GB SSDs instead of 250GB. But, I'm not sure if the OS physically won't install on smaller drives. Anyone know for sure?

I suspect it would be possible to use a modified .INI file to get the OS to install on a smaller drive, like has been covered for WHS2011 in these forums, but no, I can't say for sure.