RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 system build advice needed

hfournier

OK yodafett, but how many WS2012r2 Standard licences would you need for the examples I posted? This is the real question: it doesn't seem to be clear. Are you saying that Example 2 would only require 1 licence?

@ikon

The key, IMHO, is the bit I copied from the PUR in my previous post:

Limitations on use

1. At any one time, you may Run an instance of the server software (in this case, server software is WS2012E R2) in
    • One Physical OSE, and
    • One Virtual OSE.

You are only restricted to 1 VM running WS2012E R2. There is nothing there that says you are restricted from having other VMs running other properly licensed OSes.

As Artiom pointed out, you could just use the free Hyper-V Server as the host, so what would be the point of restricting the number of VMs in a WS2012E R2 P+V environment? For that matter, why bother with the VM at all? There's not much point in setting up a host if you're only allowed 1 VM.

However, it was pointed out on the TechNet forum that if you're running say a Win7 VM on the server and allowing remote access to it, then you'll require VDI licensing.

You can get the PUR here (under specialty servers):

http://pur.microsoft.com/Cart.aspx

@Bryan

So you are agreeing with me then?

Edited by hfournier

OK yodafett, but how many WS2012r2 Standard licences would you need for the examples I posted? This is the real question: it doesn't seem to be clear. Are you saying that Example 2 would only require 1 licence?

1 server 2012r2 licenses plus the licenses for the win7 or win8. For 2012 you can run 1 physical plus 2 VMs for every standard licenses or buy 2012r2 enterprise for 4500 ie at 10 VMs buy an enterprise.

So you're saying that, if you only run Desktop OS' in the VMs, then you can also keep the installation of WS2012r2 in full mode, and not restricted to Hyper-V only, as it would be if you were running instances of WS2012r2 in the VMs?

Let's try to clarify the question(s).

For 1 Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 license, is the following true:

• you can install 1 WS2012 R2 with Hyper-V role on the physical server as the host OS
  • you can install 1 WS2012E R2 as a VM on the same server
  • you can install any number of other OSes (Win7, Win8, etc) as VMs on the same server, as long as each of those OSes is properly licensed

For 1 Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 license, is the following true:

• you can install 1 WS2012 R2 with Hyper-V role on the physical server as the host OS
  • you can install 2 WS2012 R2 as a VMs on the same server
  • you can install any number of other OSes (Win7, Win8, etc) as VMs on the same server, as long as each of those OSes is properly licensed

In either case, I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement on the first two points, so the critical issue is the third point.

Another thing you might consider is the fact you have to buy VDI Windows Workstation licence for your VMs. You can't use VL licence or OEM/Retail to run Windows XP/7/8 inside VM. Well you can but you have to buy SA(Software Assurance) for each VMs.

Another thing you might consider is the fact you have to buy VDI Windows Workstation licence for your VMs. You can't use VL licence or OEM/Retail to run Windows XP/7/8 inside VM. Well you can but you have to buy SA(Software Assurance) for each VMs.

I'm not sure anyone said they're looking to run a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (i.e. Thin Clients). I got the impression the OP simply wants to install Win7 or Win8 and then remote in to them. I'm under the impression that this is different from VDI: i.e. VDI is a specific technology that's different from simple Remote Desktop.