RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 system build advice needed

hfournier

I think I confused you by including the quote of your post. I only did that to indicate my post was for you.

Yes, I understand that WSE2012r2 can be installed as a VM running under WSE2012r2 in Hyper-V mode. But, that is the only VM you can run in this mode. Your original post indicated you wanted to run more than 1 VM, so there was a discrepancy.

That is why I referred to the Essentials experience in WS2012r2 (the no cost option). Thanks for posting it the way you did; it's clearer than the way I put it.

So you're saying that you're only allowed to run 1 VM, period? That restriction doesn't really make sense. The other VM I was talking about would be a Win7 client with a valid Win7 license.

That is correct. It is my understanding that Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 is only allowed to run 1 VM, and even more, that the VM can only be used to run WSE2012r2. The explanation I've heard is that the VM mode is provided only to make the transition from Essentials Edition to Standard Edition easier.

Basically, the VM rights (as I understand them) are:

1. Essentials: zero VMs (except for the 1 purpose we've discussed)
  2. Standard: 2 VMs for each licence applied
  3. DataCenter: unlimited VMs.

Now, that's the licencing. Technically, as I understand it, it is possible to have more VMs. IOW, the software may allow you to have more VMs, but the licencing says "No". :)

Why not to use the free Hyper-V server and then install any needed VMs to it? Anyway the hypervisor should not have any other components running on it. The "server core" can be somewhat difficult to manage, but once installed and enabled remote management - it requires minimal interaction.

• Like 1

@ikon

I've read through the PUR and I've found no such limitation. Here's what it says for WS2012E R2:

Server Licenses
  1. You must assign each license to a single Server.
  2. For each license, you may use one Running Instance of server software on the Licensed Server in either a Physical or Virtual OSE.
  3. You may use the additional software listed in Appendix 3 in conjunction with your use of server software.
Limitations on use
  1. At any one time, you may Run an instance of the server software in
    • One Physical OSE, and
    • One Virtual OSE.
  2. You must run the server software within a domain where the Server's Active Directory is configured:
    • As the domain controller (a single server which contains all the flexible single master operations (FSMO) roles),
    • As the root of the domain forest,
    • Not to be a child domain, and
    • To have no trust relationship with any other domains.
  3. If both permitted Instances are running, the Instance in the Physical OSE may be used only to run hardware virtualization software, provide hardware virtualization services, or run software to manage and service operation system environments on the licensed server.  That Instance does not need to meet the requirements in (2) above.  That is the only configuration that does not require the Instance to be a domain controller.

To revise your last post:

1. Essentials: 1 POSE + 1 VOSE license, meaning you can install WS2102E R2 on physical server with only the Hyper-V role added and on 1 VM
  2. Standard: 1 POSE + 2 VOSE license, meaning you can install WS2012 R2 on a physical server with only Hyper-V role added and on 2 VMs
  3. Datacenter: 1 POSE + unlimited VOSE, meaning you can install WS2012 R2 on a physical server with only Hyper-V role added and on unlimited number of VMs

All of those refer to the number of virtual machines you can install the same OS on, not the total number of VMs you can host on the server. At least that's my understanding.

Unfortunately, when you go to Appendix 3, there's only a link, and the link is broken, so I'm not sure what "additional Software you can use in conjunction".

Since the POSE is common to every configuration I just ignored it.

IOW, with Windows Server 2012 r2 Essentials you can have 1 VM. The only thing that can run in the VM is Essentials, and the host Essentials can only be running Hyper-V.

Windows Server 2012 r2 Standard can have up to 2 VMs. If both VMs are used then the host OS can only be running Hyper-V.

Windows Server 2012 r2 DataCenter can have an unlimited number of VMs.

I believe your statement,

"All of those refer to the number of virtual machines you can install the same OS on, not the total number of VMs you can host on the server. At least that's my understanding"

is incorrect. I believe the licencing refers to the total number of VMs allowed.

Following on from the previous, I believe this is an interesting discussion. MS doesn't make it absolutely clear how to interpret the licencing (big shock there.... NOT :P).

I think a really good question would be to ask MS the following:

Example 1: I have a Windows Server 2012 r2 Standard server. I want to run 3 VMs on it: 1 Win8, 1 Win7, 1 Linux. What licencing do I require?

Part of the confusion, for me at least, is that MS just says Operating System Environment. They don't say Windows Server Operating System Environment. To me that means they're referring to any OS, which means that the server in Example 1 would require 2 WS2012r2 Standard licences (since a single licence only allows for 2 VMs and the example has 3).

A variation on the theme would be the following:

Example 2: I have a Windows Server 2012 r2 Standard server. I want to run 3 VMs on it: 1 Win8, 2 Win7. What licencing do I require?

Since Example 2 removes Linux, which could be considered a 'server' OS, does that change the licencing at all?

MS further confuses things when they talk about (in relation to WS 2012 r2 Standard):

For each server to which you have assigned the required number of software licenses, you may run on the licensed server, at any one time

: o one instance of the server software in one physical operating system environment, and

o two instance of the server software in one virtual operating system environment.

In both points MS refers to 'the server software', which could be interpreted to mean the 2 VMs would be running WS  2012 r2 Standard. I don't believe they mean it that way (refer back to where MS suggests OSE refers to any OS), but I can see where it could be interpreted that way.

It gets confused again when they talk about:

Product                                                             Maximum permitted running instances in virtual OSE per license

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials                 One

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard                   Two

Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter                Unlimited

All in all, it's MS being their usual enigmatic selves :(

It is the server code and its downgrade rights. For desktop os you would license per desktop and Linux depends on the flavor.