RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
CablDeViL

Kids Dvd's

CablDeViL

I just wanted to get your opinion on what baby educational dvds I should start purchasing. I don't know anything about this type of genre. I know this is WAY off topic but I trust this group of users here at HSS.

Thank you for your opinion

roddy

Try this one http://www.yourbabycanread.com/

I am by no means an expert on infant pedagogy, but I did try it on my kids and they learned to read really early.

HTH :D

cskenney

I would recommend Baby Einstein. My next choice is Signing Time.

Here is why I make these recommendations. I have a 5 1/2 year old daughter who is now reading stories to her classmates at pre-school. These videos rely on repetition and visual aids to help teach kids language. The words are put in front of them, not just pictures, not just sounds, but everything. My daughter picks up the sign language extremely fast. My next paragraph will tell you how she uses it.

My 2nd reason for recommending these videos is my 4 year old son. He is autistic. He is extremely visual. He doesn't understand just words. Give him a word with the sign language gesture and he will understand the sign language and eventually the words. He now watches the Baby Einstein videos and does the signs and says the words before the video (he has probably memorized it but I don't care). My daughter will actually bring things to her little brother and do the sign and say the word and wait for him to repeat it back to her. Some days he does it, other days he does not.

I guess what I am trying to tell you is many people will tell you to not allow your child to watch videos. I would agree from the standpoint that a video player is not a babysitter. However, you will find that you or your spouse will need time to cook, clean, use the computer, etc. and you need to be able to put the child somewhere that they won't get into trouble. I advocate giving them something that will help them learn. Hope this helps.

Guest no-control

My Daughter loved Baby Einstein when she was only 6-9 months old. I think mosly for the colors and sounds. Then she discovered PBS at her Gmom's she love to watch Super Why and Sid the Science Kid. She's 15 m/o and already has a vocabulary that is quite impressive. She can understand instuctions already. Throw this away (item ends up in trash) Olivia close it (usually whatever she just got into will be closed). Visually she can identify things pretty well and can tell you what things are.

Recently I've been repplaying the Baby E stuff and she into it again. I think she understands it a bit more.

Is it the videos? I don't know, but shes smart enough now that I know I'm in deep $#%T when she gets older. :o

I agree with CSKenny. Neither my wife or I know sign but we were able to teach here to use gestures to helps us figure out what her needs were. it wasn't a lot but knowing the differences not only between the cries (Hard) but for them to give you a hand signal or motion for things like bottle, wet, and sleep were really helpful especially for Dad ;)

CablDeViL

Thank You Roddy for the link. Looks like a winner.

cskenny thank you very much I ran out this Sunday to grab a few, then I had to rip the iso to the WHS =). We are only a few days away and the wife is nesting so this is a new road for me and you have been very helpful in my decisions over the last 9 months.

no - control, I dont want to use the dvds like a babysitter but I do think there is some great learning techniques on DVD now. And like you said if I can get him up to speed faster and the learning videos work then I am all for it. Besides, lets face it I hope I can teach him how to run slysoft by the age of 2. Need help with the collection..

Thanks again - I will probably unplug from the net on Friday and get the cameras ready for all the picture taking and videos. Definitely excited.

Glavian

My 3 kids have absolutely loved the Baby Einstein DVD's and the are all reading at a great level in part to watching them.

FYI they are 4, 6, and 8.

bsieve

no-control question if I might but my wife and I are considering sign language but our one friend's kid may have delayed speaking some do to the signals. We have no actual facts about it but did you experience anything like that?

cskenney

no-control question if I might but my wife and I are considering sign language but our one friend's kid may have delayed speaking some do to the signals. We have no actual facts about it but did you experience anything like that?

bsieve - sign language use will not cause delay in speech development. Most experts will agree that sign language use will actually help with language development. How do I know? I have a son with autism.

Guest no-control

^^^

What he said. Everything I've read points to speeding up development. I was told to use language while using the gestures, just like when someone is taught Sign. Most kids learn not from just hearing the sound but from watching how the mouth produces those sounds.