RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L and Gen8 memory compability

rmccas

Hi everyone,

Could anyone tell me if the memory used on the N54L can be used on the GEN8 ?

when i got my n54l i bought this kit

KINGSTON 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 Unbuffered ECC CL9 (Kit of 2 x 8GB DIMMs)

Manufacturer Part Code: KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G

thanks

Rs

Yes, It works well, Check CSKenney's 1st Post of Links in the Thread "ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links" for additional confirmation. I've posted a video on moving my 16G ECC from my N40L to my Gen8. See also my Sig below.........

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jypjFbwyKiA

Edited by Joe_Miner

thanks Joe,

I recently bought two n54l for vmware but now im considering upgrading to GEN8.

Any recommendations on the xeon processor ?

Check out CSKenney's first post in the Thread "ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links" which has a listing of the CPU's that we have confirmation having been added by Forum users.

The CPU to go with really depends on a lot of personal preferences, i.e. If you want good performance and a quiet system fan then you might want to take a serious look at the Xeon E3-1220Lv2 that FireBaall first reported adding to his system at 17W TDP and a Passmark score of 3701 with 2 cores & 4 threads -- if you want higher performance and noise of increased fan speeds and other high temp mitigation steps then you could look at the Xeon E3-1265Lv2 with 45W TDP Passmark 8142 w/ 4 cores & 8 threads -- there are many more CPU's reported being used with the top performer being the Xeon E3-1270v2 but that's at 69W TDP for Passmark 9733 w/ 4cores & 8 threads.....   YMMV

If you don't want to mess with changing out your CPU HP now sells a model with the Xeon E3-1220Lv2 -- check out the Links page and the Table comparing performance.

I just installed this set KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G yesterday.. works great.

I do have 041 BIOS MOD, and noticed something odd about the memory timings, the set is CL9; however, in BIOS the HP N54L shows these values and I could never get them to change:

TCL : 6

Trcd : 6

Trp : 6

Tras : 15

Trrd : 4

Trc : 20

Trtp : 4

Twr : 6

6-6-6-15 at 400MHz (?)... I thought it was odd so I checked the spec sheet: http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3E9SK2_16G.pdf

and it says this part number has a "range" of configurations for CL modes 9,8,7,6 which I thought was interesting. I'm a bit concerned with such low settings, but I guess the low MHz works. Anyway, I've had no problems so far, but might be interested in knowing what others have for this and if the BIOS is detecting different JEDEC values.

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed this set KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G yesterday.. works great.

I do have 041 BIOS MOD, and noticed something odd about the memory timings, the set is CL9; however, in BIOS the HP N54L shows these values and I could never get them to change:

TCL : 6

Trcd : 6

Trp : 6

Tras : 15

Trrd : 4

Trc : 20

Trtp : 4

Twr : 6

6-6-6-15 at 400MHz (?)... I thought it was odd so I checked the spec sheet: http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3E9SK2_16G.pdf

and it says this part number has a "range" of configurations for CL modes 9,8,7,6 which I thought was interesting. I'm a bit concerned with such low settings, but I guess the low MHz works. Anyway, I've had no problems so far, but might be interested in knowing what others have for this and if the BIOS is detecting different JEDEC values.

I have x2 4gb HP ecc 1333mhz in my new N54L i have also noticed the timings are not recorded correctly by BIOS.

Anybody have any ideas how to enable the full speed and correct timings please?  iam using 041 bios mod