RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

All additional drives in Windows 8.1 are marked as portable device

Saburr

Hello,

all my drives in the four bays and on the internal USB port are marked as portable device.

When I start the Windows Media Player, the software scans all the drives.

portable.png

In the internet I found, that this is, because something is with the SATA driver wrong.

I use the SATA AHCI Mode.

Can someone help me?

Thank you.

Greetings

if you are running the microsoft ahci driver its

reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel0" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel1" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel2" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel3" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel4" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel5" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

still looking for the intel ahci driver

Is there a particular reason why you're so concerned about this, or is it more a case of wondering why it's happening. I only ask because the one thing I read in both posts you linked to is that it's not an issue and doesn't affect the computer's performance.

For me its mainly as i dont want the Safely remove hardware icon in the taskbar

but it also causes problem with wmi errors in the event log due to windows insisting on setting

the windows driver foundation user mode driver framework to manual

when its needs to be on auto with removable devices

This is an example of one from the pc im on atm

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_04E8&PID_6860&MS_COMP_MTP&SAMSUNG_Android\6&217d5b9&1&0000.

I have the latest intel inf driver's on mine

normally i would then go and install the intel rapid storage drivers

but for some reason they result in inacessable boot device on the microserver gen8

though they install fine

I have maybe 10 pc's in ahci mode and all worked fine with the intel rapid storage drivers apart from this one

Edited by Shonk