RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The Pollard's are adopting!

schoondoggy

That's great but why not an American. I always wonder this.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

My understanding is that the birth mother in the US has many rights as she can come in and

take the child back at a later time. That would certainly make me hesitant to adopt here. 

Most are related to fraud or duress, but here are examples of when the birth mother can take the

child back:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2004/rpt/2004-R-0661.htm

This discussion can easily get off track but I will just add that I had friends that tried adopting in the US and our government makes it extremely difficult.  They had to first become foster parents and go through all the scrutiny and visits by the state agency.  They were finally paired up with a pregnant mother who didn't want the baby when it was born (or so she said).  They paid her expenses for 6 months including rent, food and doctors visits to insure the baby was developing and healthy.  When the baby was going to be born they traveled to the hospital in another state and stayed in a hotel for days waiting to be told they could visit their new child in the hospital.  Finally, 2 days after the baby had been born they were told the mother had changed her mind.  They returned home with no child and out all the money they had provided.  That apparently is the risk you take if you try and adopt in the US.

I have other friends and co-workers that have adopted from China, Korea and Ghana.  They had hurdles to jump through as well but it seems that you stand a much better chance of having a successful adoption when you do a foreign adoption.

One of the drug reps that visits our office had a much better outcome luckily. He and his wife were working with two moms hoping

to get one baby. Well, within 2 days they ended up with 2 babies are very happy. And of course since that time have had one

child of their own.