RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L Drive Swap

NMGMarques

Hi all.

Bought a N54L and have been testing it using Windows 8.1. Currently the box is running Windows off the 250GB HDD that came included and I have data on my 1,5TB internal HDD. I have successfully setup some applications I wanted to have running like apps similar to uTorrent, SickBeard, CouchPotato and sabnzbd. Time has come now to step things up a bit, so I am considering purchasing and moving over to Windows Server 2012, removing the 1,5TB drive and setting up either RAID 5 or Storage Spaces on 3x 2TB Western Digital Red.

• First question: is there any easy way I can copy the configuration of the apps so I don't have to set it all up again later after the install?
  • Question 2: In removing the 1,5TB and installing the 3x 2TB WD Reds, I will be filling up my drive bays (the 250GB as sys disk and the others as RAID or Storage Space). Is there any way I can create a 2 disk raid, copy the data from the 1.5TB and then add the third disk to the raid?
  • Is RAID better than storage spaces? I want security against a single disk failure. Where do I loose more space? Using RAID-5 or Storage Spaces?
  • What general recommendations do you have for me?

• No way to "copy" the program config files over to Server 2012.  No way, no how.

I would get an external dock for the 1.5TB drive, install the 3x2TB drives, create the array and then just copy over to the 4TB RAID 5 array.

Fore me, RAID is far superior to SS as long as you use a Controller Card.  Neither are for data backup but rather to increase uptime.  You need a separate backup plan.

• No way to "copy" the program config files over to Server 2012.  No way, no how.
  • I would get an external dock for the 1.5TB drive, install the 3x2TB drives, create the array and then just copy over to the 4TB RAID 5 array.
  • Fore me, RAID is far superior to SS as long as you use a Controller Card.  Neither are for data backup but rather to increase uptime.  You need a separate backup plan.

So from what I am reading, you wouldn't recommend using the built in RAID-5 capabilities?

I was under the impression that RAID-5 was used for security. I don't mean backup, but rather the ability to have a disk fail but still be able to access the file and be able to replace the failed drive without loosing the data on that disk.

RAID, like Storage Spaces (Pooled Storage), is meant for Redundancy and not backup as you said.  If you break the mirror, the data set is lost.  SS is different in that you can pop one of the drives into a lot of another machine and read the data.

A lot of people on this site report performance issues with Storage Spaces, read S-L-O-W.

RAID, like Storage Spaces (Pooled Storage), is meant for Redundancy and not backup as you said.  If you break the mirror, the data set is lost.  SS is different in that you can pop one of the drives into a lot of another machine and read the data.

A lot of people on this site report performance issues with Storage Spaces, read S-L-O-W.

Ok. So I read up a little and I think I am going to look at this differently. I'll set up the 3x 2TB as a single 6TB drive. Then I'll use the 1,5TB as a external HDD backup for the critical data. Basically that's just my photos, home vids and music. All the rest is redundant and won't be missed if lost. In this case I guess I should be looking at a stripped RAID setup for the 3x 2TB array.

I think you're getting closer to a good working plan. I would avoid using Storage Spaces. I think you need more backup though. If the data you want to copy to the 1.5TB is important, you should have at least 1 copy of it located off site.

First question: is there any easy way I can copy the configuration of the apps so I don't have to set it all up again later after the install?

Depending on applications - afaik you can copy for sure the configuration of uTorrent from AppData folder (you may need to fix the paths if they will change in the new OS), as for the others - I haven't used them, but I suppose their configurations can be migrated too if you will investigate it. As for OS configuration - I agree with jmwills - do not try to copy it.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed reply. Was away for quite some time. As to ikon's suggestion, I'll keep away from storage spaces for sure. I think I'll just use the built in raid features. Speed is not so critical for me so it should do nicely. Also you'r off site comment made me get to thinking and I think I have found a solution: The 1,5TB will be connected to a PC at work and will backup the box at home over the internet. This way I use the 1,5 for critical data backup, I keep the backup off site and also it's dirt cheap since I won't use any third part services. To achieve sync I'll use Bittorrent Sync, 1-way. 

Artiom: you are right. More foraging through the help pages and the bowels of the intertubes has taught me that I can get most configs copied over to a new machine. This will greatly help in the sense I won't have to spend hours setting it all up again.

I ended up doing exactly what I described in my last post and it's all working now. Backups are occurring off site, at slow speed, but it's working. All else is going fine. Thinks I have a working solution for the next year or so at the least. Maybe after that I will start looking into Linux as future solution.