RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP N54L raid + nic on available PCI slots

rmccas

Hi All,

currently i have bought 2 NL54 microservers to use with vmware.

All esx are installed on a usb key and each box have 16gb of memory.

I also added an low-profile hp dual-port nic (HP NC360T) on the x16 pci slot has i wasn't able to add it to the other slot. 

Now im considering according to the posts here to add a raid controller. I was aiming for the HP P400 or P410 but i would like to ask if its possible to have both NIC and raid controller on the available pci slots on the microserver.

I only see a 16x slots (where the nic is installed) and the other one for the ilo card and a 1x pci express slot. 

has anyone has this setup in place ?

Im already considering the GEN8 when gen9 is released and we can have some deals with cashback

Thanks in advance

RS

There's a 16x & a 1x PCIe in the N54L

I've had it set up with a video card in the 16x and a dual port nic in the 1x -- when I get a chance I'll look up the 1x card but it's the same that Dave used when he was loading S2012R2E onto to his N54L when it first came out and we couldn't use the onboard nic at the time.

The HP 332T is a dual port NIC with a PCIe 2.0 x1 interface, so you could use it in the x1 slot of a N54l. List is expensive, but I have found them on eBay:

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.aspx?sku=10427374&pagemode=ca

There are other dual port x1 NICs, but they are based on the Realtec chipsets and I am not sure about ESXi support. This one is PCIe 2.0, most others are PDIe 1.1:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833114089

thanks for the feedback. 

since this will be used mainly for the vmware management cluster i can then put some results for the performance and availability.

I forgot to mention that all VMs will be run on a NAS box through iscsi or nfs.

regards

RS

My apologies. I read N54L and then was thinking Gen8 when I wrote my post. As JM and schoondoggy indicated, there is a x1 PCIe slot. Sorry for the confusion.

There's a 16x & a 1x PCIe in the N54L

I've had it set up with a video card in the 16x and a dual port nic in the 1x -- when I get a chance I'll look up the 1x card but it's the same that Dave used when he was loading S2012R2E onto to his N54L when it first came out and we couldn't use the onboard nic at the time.

This is the 1x PCIe dual NIC I was referring to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833328022 the reviews seem to imply that while it worked ok with older versions of VMWare it's having some problems with the newer versions.

My only experience with the SY-PEX24028 has been in the Windows environment (and I've had good luck with it in WS2012R2, WS2012R2E, W8.1 & W7) so I have no first hand knowledge how it is with ESXi.