RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup service disk activity

Vertigo

Hi,

Ok so I took the plunge and ditched WHS2011 for WS2012R2E, for a variety of reasons.

All is well so far.  I've done an initial, complete backup from two client machines, which took quite a while, but is now done.

Now however, I've noticed that there's a load of disk activity.  The WSSBackup.exe service is constantly reading from files in the Client Computer Backups folder and I don't know why.  There are no backups in progress, nor is there a cleanup operation running, so I presumed it was perhaps some kind of indexing of the newly added data but the weird thing is that it's not writing any data at all, just reading it.  It's running at a constant speed of around 60MB/s, usually accessing two files at once, an Index... file and a Data... file.

Does anyone have any idea what it's doing or whether I should be concerned?

It seems to be reading every "Data.4096.xxx.dat" file in sequence but writing no data at all.  Can't fathom what it's achieving by simply reading every data file but, at this rate, it's going to take another 5 hours to complete.

Would love to know why it's doing this and whether it's going to be a regular occurrence.

This is on the weekend, right? 

If so, then it may be doing a cleanup pass. 

That would be my guess too. And, since the backups are all new, and since none of them need to be archived or deleted at this time, it has no need to write.

That would be my guess too. And, since the backups are all new, and since none of them need to be archived or deleted at this time, it has no need to write.

Exactly. It's checking the integrity (usually happens on sundays, IIRC), and pruning older backups.

Assuming that nothing is wrong, it won't need to write at all.

Thanks guys.  The Cleanup task in the scheduler wasn't running but I guess it could have been doing one anyway.  When it finally finished all was well and it's been fine since.  WSE2012R2 and DrivePool 2.X are working very well for me indeed :)

• Like 1