RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
tazoul

Swapping drives to another PC

tazoul

I have 3 x 3TB drives in my N54L, all JBOD without any RAID configuration, using however the AMD RAID drivers and Server 2008R2. When I take out any of the drives and I plug it to a Windows 7 intel board, the drive is not recognized and obviously the files are not shown, and vice versa, if I format a 3TB disk on another PC and plug it in the microserver, I cannot see the files. Is this because I am using the AMD RAID drivers and not the normal AMD drivers, or am I missing something else here?

ikon

I think you've got it right. If it was me, I would uninstall the RAID drivers and try again..

tazoul

I didn't know this, because when I was using JBOD disks on other systems under intel raid drivers, I could move the drives to any other PC, regardless of RAID or AHCI drivers. I suppose this is not the case with the microserver, thanks to AMD. In essence the disks are not movable to another machine, either using SATA or using an external HDD USB dock, which is a big drawback if you ask me.

I am also thinking of uninstalling the RAID drivers and use the AMD AHCI ones and try again, although I think a full backup is needed first just to be on the safe side.

ikon

Full backups are always a good idea.

jsox

Drive portability in the event of a problem is one of the reasons I use Stablebit DrivePool instead of software RAID on my data drives..

tazoul

Drive portability in the event of a problem is one of the reasons I use Stablebit DrivePool instead of software RAID on my data drives..

There is no software RAID configuration, only the installed RAID drivers and single disks. So maybe even Stablebit DrivePool under these RAID drivers would behave the same, ie there wouldn't be any drive portability to a different system.

ikon

If you use DrivePool it wouldn't make sense to use RAID drivers;: DrivePool does the pooling itself. All that's needed is plain SATA drivers so that the system recognizes the drives.