RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

A couple of simple questions.

bigladuk

OK, I've thought more about this and realised I can't add an expansion card as I already have Satellite received card in it :-( Plus I'm worried about heat.

So, if I add 2 SSD's mirrored on the B120i, ( using the startech breakout cable showed above...does this carry power ?? ) is there another port I can put the HD Caddy into with my 4 disks in to attach to the B120i as well ?

Thanks in advance

Si

OK, answering my own questions ( is that a bit sad )

Without an extra controller card I can only use 5 HDDs right ? 4 via the cage plus 1 into the SATA port reserved for the ODD correct ?

So going back to my original plan of 4 disks in Raid 5 plus a pair of mirrored SSDs...thats not possible. The best I can achieve is 1 SSD ( no redundancy ) and 4 disks in raid 0 ( no redundancy )....

I guess I could drop to 3 Disks & 2 SSDs, mirroring the OS ( the most important to me ) and leaving me 3 disks to Raid 0.

What cables do I need to add as SSD into the ODD location ?

Si

You could also use the eSATA port on the back and reroute the SATA cable back inside the chassis. Joe_Miner did it.

How would that present itself...as a device on the b210i ?

Si

How about an external raid box ? http://uk.startech.com/m/HDD/Enclosures/4-Bay-External-Hard-Drive-Array-RAID-Tower-eSATA-USB-3-Enclosure~SAT3540U3ER how much slower would usb3 be than the internal ports ? Using this I could add my 2 ssd's to the drive cage for os and 4 disks in the external unit meaning my data is presented like a big usb disk ( I assume )