RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

A couple of simple questions.

bigladuk

Hi everyone, I've been using my gen 8 since they were released, before that I had a g7 for a few years. They are both great bits of kit

My config is

8gb ram

4 disks jbod using ahci ( 3 * 2tb, 1 * 3tb )

Ubuntu 13.10 headless server

What I want is to add the Xeon processor, bigger disks & some raid.

The Xeon is a no brainer as the 1265 ( I think that's the number ) is much cheaper than the 1220 so I'm getting that.

Disks are easy as I already have 1 wd green 3tb so I'm going to get 3 more of those to match.

My question is around raid.

I could use my onboard to raid and go with raid 1 but that would only give me 6tb to present to ubuntu which is too much of a loss in size for reduancy I don't really need ( never had any data loss and nothing really misson critical )

My preference would be raid 5 meaning I'd get 9tb and retain a certain level of redundancy but how do in get that and keep my tight ilo/hp integration ?

I read last night that the module you buy to make the onboard controller raid 5 capable isn't actually a module more of a New card (p222 ? ) so would someone mind explaining my options for raid 5 ?

Thanks in advance

Si

Oh, my other question is around firmware versions, I updated to ilo 2.0 manually by using the bin file via the ilo web interface as if I try using the firmware update in intellegent provisioning it says intellegent provisioning and ilo both need updating but it only updates them to the same versions (1.4 for ilo ) .

So are people having much luck updating via the intellegent provisioning or are the problems I'm suffering from because my passport doesn't have a carepack assigned to it?

Finally, what is the latest version of the bios ? I'm on j6 ( I think but it's 2013 dated and don't see any options to control my fans that people are talking about )

Thanks

Si

At some point would be very interested in your experience in Unbuntu Headless server - setup and configuration

There is a forum subsection for Linux based servers that is rather sparsely posted

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

The P2 22 would give you raid five you can buy those on eBay for a few hundred dollars and save some over the regular price and you need to get you can get a breakout cable to then use the onboard grade so you could have raid five for the data drives in the hot-swap Bay in then go with ASD a module available here to remount SSDs ours other Spindlebrook drugs on the side

At some point would be very interested in your experience in Unbuntu Headless server - setup and configuration

There is a forum subsection for Linux based servers that is rather sparsely posted

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

Been using Ubuntu for about 5 years or so. No expert but happy to help.

I simply installed webmin as soon I've done the install then it's made super simple :-)

Si

The P2 22 would give you raid five you can buy those on eBay for a few hundred dollars and save some over the regular price and you need to get you can get a breakout cable to then use the onboard grade so you could have raid five for the data drives in the hot-swap Bay in then go with ASD a module available here to remount SSDs ours other Spindlebrook drugs on the side

Wow, thats a lot of words with no punctuation LOL

So if I can sum up, your saying to use a P222 ( fully supported etc etc ) with a brake out cable to plugin the Drive cage. Can you tell me more about the cable ?

i'm lost with the rest you typed :-(

Si

Sorry was using the dictation app on my iPhone 6 plus.

Here is the cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KDO22K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Joe_Miner and I both use it as it shorter than most break out cables. Basically plug in P222 in microserver and move the SAS cable from the on board SAS controller to P222 and then use the startech cable on the b120i.

In my case I have 10 drives in my microserver

2 120 ssd in mirror on b120i for boot

3 120 ssd in raid 0 on b120i for hyperv VMs. The onboard sata port is the 5th raid port on b120i

2 3TB 7200 constellation for 2012r2 and hyperv data on P222 on raid 1

2 2TB 7200 constellation for VMware data for high availability and vmotion.

Blu Ray writer with slim Sata to usb plunged onto mother board usb header

We use the schoondoggie dive mount to attach SSDs to the side of the power supply. In my case I used strip styrene to mount 4 drives there and one above the Blu Ray.

Thanks yodafett, makes perfect sense now.

I think after further thinking I might do a similar thing to you, get a pair of ssds mirrored for the os via the startech cable into the onboard b120i and then get a p222 ( that's an expansion card right ? ) and plug in the cable from the drive cradle.

So, I assume the best place for my ssd's is in the optical drive bay ?

Thanks for your help

Si