RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CPU choice 1265Lv2 or 1220Lv2

mrmellypants

Hi All,

Cant decide between these two CPU's

1265Lv2 4 cores 8 threads higher tdp 45w

1220lV2 LESS CORES BUT 17w tdp.

I AM GOING TO ADD 16gb RAM AND A P410 raid card, so whats the best choice will I run out of RAM before the CPU gets maxed out ? will be running MS 2012 hypver v about 4 VM's to run.

Please let me know what you think and how many VM's are you running on what CPU.

Thanks All.

I run a 1220L V2 with 16GB. I have not worked it hard, but it seems to run out of memory before CPU. Four VM's should be fine, but it depends on what the VM is. VM load depends on what you are running in the VM. The P410 is a good RAID controller, but it is not supported by iLo on the Gen8 Microserver, so it will not report events through iLo.

Another part of the equation, IMO, is how quiet you want your Gen8 to be.  With a 1265Lv2 I prefer to run my Gen8 at the BIOS setting Increased Cooling which for me sits at ~27-8% (with latest 6/6/2014 BIOS) -- if I was looking for as quiet Machine as possible I think the 120Lv2 would be a better choice with the BIOS setting on Optimal Cooling.  Since in my "messing around" I do reduce my BIOS setting I have added 4 fans onto the CPU cooler to increase my comfort level on temps.

For the meetup last weekend I had loaded Win8.1Prox64 onto the Gen8 and had 9 VM's running but that was just to show what was "possible" -- with dynamic memory allocation you have a lot of flexibility.  Check the HSS Blog postings -- some of the pics from the meetup show my Gen8 with the VM's up -- Dave should be opening up the collection of Meetup photo's soon in next week or two.

Since the meetup -- I'm in the process of rebuilding my Gen8 -- I'm cleaning off the OS and all the drives (never know what got on there from the Hotel Network :) ) and will reload an OS and a number of VM's.

• Like 1

I am running the 1265L v2 without additional fans.  All drive bays are full, plus two SSDs in the SchoonDoggy Drive Bracket. No issues.

It really depends on what you're running on your VMs.  I'd probably go with the 1265 --but then again, I'd also go with one generation newer RAID controller (P222 or P420) so you get integration with the HP iLO and lower your fan noise.  The HP P410 will up the fan speed for sure.

If I'd gone the route I'm on now with a single physical server, I'd get the 1220L v2.  I'd say the same for two VMs in almost all cases.  If one of your VMs is running SQL Server, or Exchange, that changes the picture and would make me want to ramp up to quad-core.

• Like 1

I have my 1260L (2.4GHz but still 45W TDP) on quietest cooling and the fan speed is still at 11%. So you can have higher powered and still be quiet :)

Having said that, mine isn't really a high-powered machine - just a 2012R2 environment functioning as a Plex transcoder.