RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MeetUp 2015 Potential topics

schoondoggy

I plan to bring the blended home. Microserver with 9 drives and hyperv as well as nfs share for VMware. The i7 vm host if gen 9 is not out. The i7 hackintosh. The qnap as iscsi and dlna with a pi as the receiver. Plus hopefully home automation. And for a bonus I am driving up so possibly bringing mrs Yoda.

• Like 1

If someone has an HP Mini (the $180 version) to demonstrate as a remote control HTPC that would be a good story to hear and a good demo to see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If someone who is really good with a quad / hex copter with a camera would be willing to come and do a demo... maybe after lunch outside? That could be interesting.

If someone would set up a pfSense or Untangle router at the start of the meet-up (Friday night?) then do a presentation during the day about what the thing shows for traffic and such that could be interesting. If they did it on a tiny device (Raspberry PI?) that would really be interesting.

"Not sure I'd want to be running Untangle on a Pi"

Okay, I have no idea. Maybe you can come and demonstrate / educate people like me?

:edit:

Okay, I did some additional online reading and the consensus seems to be that the Pi and its NIC are just too slow, even the Pi 2.

A really small, fanless advanced FW / router might still make a neat demonstration though.

I don't recall anyone mentioning the Fitlet in the HSS venue. I assume you would need at least a Fitlet-i, with two NICs for that.

At nearly $250 without OS, RAM or SSD they are kind of pricey though.

• Like 1

"Not sure I'd want to be running Untangle on a Pi"

Okay, I have no idea. Maybe you can come and demonstrate / educate people like me?

:edit:

Okay, I did some additional online reading and the consensus seems to be that the Pi and its NIC are just too slow, even the Pi 2.

A really small, fanless advanced FW / router might still make a neat demonstration though.

I don't recall anyone mentioning the Fitlet in the HSS venue. I assume you would need at least a Fitlet-i, with two NICs for that.

At nearly $250 without OS, RAM or SSD they are kind of pricey though.

A pi would be to small but a gigabyte itx j1900 atom comes with 2 ncis and can handle you needs. Motherboard is fanless and can be put into a small case. Even a Celeron 847 Nuc could handle this.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think a Pi, well an interesting device, doesn't quite have the horsepower needed by Untangle. Not that Untangle needs a lot of CPU, but I think it needs more than a Pi can deliver.

I'm out this year. Visiting my daughter at her freshman year at college. This is her birthday weekend. No tv calibration demonstration...at least from me.

I'm optimistic for next year.

I'll miss seeing and talking with you guys. I had a blast last year!