RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bash vulnerability on Linux and Unix systems

schoondoggy

This can't possibly be true - everyone knows that only Windows has security vulnerabilities - just ask any Mac or Linux/UNIX user :P

I'm glad you said it.

This can't possibly be true - everyone knows that only Windows has security vulnerabilities - just ask any Mac or Linux/UNIX user :P

Which is the irony, because now, they're in the same boat, and can't claim that any more.

Between this and heartbleed.... it's been shown that no system is safe.

Though, the part that is really funny to me, is that the bash vulnerability is apparently ~25 years old........

And yes, definitely patch your router, if there is an update.

Edited by Drashna (WGS)

I have nothing against Mac or *ix as OSes. What has bugged me, a bit, is the smug, holier-than-thou attitude their proponents have exhibited with regard to vulnerabilities. The fact is, every OS is vulnerable - it's impossible to write one that isn't, simply because they're so complex.

That said, I have my Untangle set for auto-updating, so I'm hoping/assuming the developers will push out a fix very soon (if they haven't already).

I have nothing against Mac or *nix as OSes. What has bugged me, a bit, is the smug, holier-than-thou attitude their proponents have exhibited with regard to vulnerabilities. 

This. OMG, this.  And *NIX is worse, in that if you try to learn and ask questions in dedicated communities, you get shunned and humiliated for being a "noob".  I've experienced, I've seen it, and I've heard lots of people echo this sentiment. 

Kind of makes you want to rub it in their face when this happens. But that would be mean spirited.

And yes, every device connected to the internet is vulnerable in some way or another. Though the biggest vulnerability is and probably always will be the end user.