RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
gyrene2083

DrivePop Changes for High Use Accounts...

ikon

I have no axe to grind in this discussion, as I didn't sign up for the offer. I didn't sign up for 2 reasons:

1. I don't believe in online storage except for very impersonal stuff;
  2. I'm always distrustful of 'life-time' offers that seem too good to be true, which I thought this was.

That said, I understand why long-standing members of these forums say to just chalk it up to experience and move on. The fact is, it's highly unlikely the DrivePop people will be able to provide any compensation. We've seen this kind of thing before, which is why I distrust these kinds of offers. Mostly, these people end up losing everything themselves so they have nothing to give back.

timekills

What I am concerned with is the selling of their equipment when they go bankrupt - which they likely will at this rate. How do we ensure our data that was on the servers isn't accessible? I understand they were using Livedrive storage, so presumably Livedrive still maintains the hardware and security but how do we know?

ikon

That's a good point timekills. Another reason to not put anything sensitive or valuable in online storage.

jsox

Just in case it wasn't clear, my feelings of betrayal are for DrivePop and Livedrive, not anyone else here who reviewed or recommended the service.

umair

I just filed a complaint with BBB.  DrivePOP sent me an email the first month I signed up for their service asking me how much more data I will backup on their server. Even though I had unlimited account, they got scared when uploaded approximately 4TB data. They tried to deny me service saying you are violating our fair use policy to which I fought with them where was the fair use policy mentioned in terms and conditions? DrivePOP kept offering me third party services and wanted me to sign up with it directly saying that their service providers have denied to offer it. The shocking was that they were still selling the same service on their website. I fought and they kept offering me the service at that rate. Now my account is suspended and I am waiting for their response on BBB. IF I don't get it, I will take legal action. They couldn't block my access to my data on their server. I didn't get any of their email. If any of you are interested, lets teach such companies a lesson. 

ikon

Good luck with the BBB. In most places, the BBB is nothing more than a rubber stamp for businesses to claim they're good guys. A company has to be abysmally bad to get a black mark from the BBB. More than anything, it's a way for an organisation to collect membership fees.