RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
gyrene2083

DrivePop Changes for High Use Accounts...

Dave

I had 36Gb on the service and got the e-mail as well.  My plan was $99 one time and it bumped up to $19.99 annual recurring.  Technically, not a bad price but I requested cancellation of the account and will just strand the data.  It was a tertiary cloud backup for me.  CrashPlan being my main backup of choice.  My apologies guys.  LiveDrive was around for a long time and I didn't see this coming.  I'm glad I recommended it as a secondary solution but I still feel bad for recommending it at all.  I say bail.  Get your data off if you need it.  If you don't need it, remove it. Cancel your account.

Asyd

The problem is that at these rates there will be no new customers because they are not competitive. So they cannot absorb the cost of high usage customers elsewhere. Their business model to rely on third party unlimited commitment was fundamentally flawed from the beginning.

That might be the case, but that's not OUR fault and we certainly shouldn't have to pay for their poor planning or model. We are all due a refund because they didn't live up to the terms of their agreement. Lifetime means lifetime, unlimited means unlimited -- not sure how either of those terms are unclear. Tivo had lifetime memberships -- they changed their model but they didn't start sending me a bill because they had to change their model.

And sorry, I don't mean to be callous, but how is it OUR fault that they can't absorb the "cost of high usage customers elsewhere?" I would hardly call the 89GB I have for my four computers high usage. We're not owners in the business, so how is that our responsibility.  They have two options: give those with lifetime memberships a refund and cancel the service or provide the service under the terms as agreed.

Edited by Asyd

Dave

And sorry, I don't mean to be callous...

I don't disagree with you and your not out of line.  They sold a product that they can't deliver on.  I don't think they owe anyone a complete refund but I think if a customer asked for a refund they should be prepared to make good with some sort of percentage.  I doubt that will happen in this case as we have already seen the game they are playing.  I'm washing my hands of them. A few dollars shorter, a whole lot wiser.

Asyd

I don't disagree with you and your not out of line.  They sold a product that they can't deliver on.  I don't think they owe anyone a complete refund but I think if a customer asked for a refund they should be prepared to make good with some sort of percentage.  I doubt that will happen in this case as we have already seen the game they are playing.  I'm washing my hands of them. A few dollars shorter, a whole lot wiser.

Lol, not sure who your comment is directed to, me or revengineer. :)

Dave

Lol, not sure who your comment is directed to, me or revengineer. :)

Well, to you, but i think he is correct.

jsox

cancelled my account. feel betrayed. glad I don't care if they delete the data.

revengineer

That might be the case, but that's not OUR fault and we certainly shouldn't have to pay for their poor planning or model. We are all due a refund because they didn't live up to the terms of their agreement. Lifetime means lifetime, unlimited means unlimited -- not sure how either of those terms are unclear. Tivo had lifetime memberships -- they changed their model but they didn't start sending me a bill because they had to change their model.

And sorry, I don't mean to be callous, but how is it OUR fault that they can't absorb the "cost of high usage customers elsewhere?" I would hardly call the 89GB I have for my four computers high usage. We're not owners in the business, so how is that our responsibility.  They have two options: give those with lifetime memberships a refund and cancel the service or provide the service under the terms as agreed.

You are obviously very emotional about this matter, and, to some extend, I do not blame you. While I am on you side, the purpose of my message was simply to point out the likely reality. The money you initially paid went to third party Lifedrive and DrivePop kept likely very little of it. They probably did not get rich with this business. They were also very gullible regarding the lifetime agreement with the third party. Now not only have they been screwed too, they can also not make it up to their customers, which means that they will likely go under. It is clear that they cannot cover the revised cost, and there is likely also no money to reimburse any disappointed customers.

As it happens sometimes, their business plan simply did not pan out. While disappointing, I doubt they did this on purpose. By signing up, you entered into this risk, so I personally don't think they owe you anything. You may think differently, and, depending on the fine print / terms of service, you may have grounds for legal action. However, when contemplating this path think about the cost, hassle, and the amount of money you invested. Seriously, there are more important things in life. Just let it go.

Also, please nobody blame Dave either. He found the offer and let us know, just like many other great deals he passed on. You can't hit strikes all the time; once in a while there is just a bad egg. Everyone had the chance to evaluate the offer before signing up. The cable and cell phone companies have taught us for a while that unlimited is NOT unlimited, so such bait and switch is not entirely unheard of. I am very thankful for Dave's services to the community and hope he keeps the deals and offers coming.

I have said on the topic what i have to say. There will be no further responses from me on this topic. 

Asyd

You are obviously very emotional about this matter, and, to some extend, I do not blame you. While I am on you side, the purpose of my message was simply to point out the likely reality. The money you initially paid went to third party Lifedrive and DrivePop kept likely very little of it. They probably did not get rich with this business. They were also very gullible regarding the lifetime agreement with the third party. Now not only have they been screwed too, they can also not make it up to their customers, which means that they will likely go under. It is clear that they cannot cover the revised cost, and there is likely also no money to reimburse any disappointed customers.

As it happens sometimes, their business plan simply did not pan out. While disappointing, I doubt they did this on purpose. By signing up, you entered into this risk, so I personally don't think they owe you anything. You may think differently, and, depending on the fine print / terms of service, you may have grounds for legal action. However, when contemplating this path think about the cost, hassle, and the amount of money you invested. Seriously, there are more important things in life. Just let it go.

Also, please nobody blame Dave either. He found the offer and let us know, just like many other great deals he passed on. You can't hit strikes all the time; once in a while there is just a bad egg. Everyone had the chance to evaluate the offer before signing up. The cable and cell phone companies have taught us for a while that unlimited is NOT unlimited, so such bait and switch is not entirely unheard of. I am very thankful for Dave's services to the community and hope he keeps the deals and offers coming.

I have said on the topic what i have to say. There will be no further responses from me on this topic. 

Well I wouldn't call it emotional, I'd say annoyed -- unlike many, you probably too, since you seem to be able to explain what's going on, I didn't have benefit of an email with an explanation. What I got was a deceptive, dishonest bill asking me to pay $234 for a service that was supposedly not to be billed out again that was also supposed to be for life, with unlimited storage and no limit on the number of computers. I'm not quite sure what your state would be if you had paid for something and then found, without notice, a lien on your property for something you were totally unaware and then told to fork over more money in perpetuity. Moreover, when I inquire about what seemed to be some random billing error, they "adjust" the bill, basically dividing it up into 12 months and THEN when I point that out I get the explanation -- which frankly isn't my problem, other than the fact that they aren't providing me what I paid for.

Yeah, they were dishonest and deceitful in their dealings with me, not once, not twice but three times. It's the PRINCIPLE. They could have also made us all aware of what was going on sooner giving US the option to opt out, get a full or pro-rata refund and be done with it. They did neither.

Edited by Asyd

tiljj

I just subscribed to reply to the thread. I should note i subscribed to drivepop taking the StackSocial offer on 15/7/2014  of 1TB - 5 Computers 69 USD lifetime

@revengineer

Apart from being emotional and frustrated because I feel scammed (wouldnt you if someone stole your money?),

lets lay out some some cold hard facts.

1. They are a business asking money for supplying services. So what do they do? They take your money you agreed on in advance, and then say "Aah we changed our mind we want more money to supply you with the service"

This is plain extortion! Who's to say that if you agree the prices won't go up again in three months time. If you decide to cancel, then they stole your money for no services supplied.

2. You say they act as a middleman between subscribers and Livedrive, having poor profits and signing vague contracts. So I suppose that all the retail shops that act as middlemen between wholesale producers and you, real estate agents, and stockbrokers, make really lousy profits and sleep under bridges. I'm sure Drivepop make more than enough, given that they dont even really infrastracture since they are an e-service. Moreover, do you know a lot of businessmen who sign a contract saying the other party "can change the terms whenever they want, charge whatever amount they want, and that all changes ARE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELLY"???  Yeaaah riiiight!!

3. But let's say they were really gullible and naive and stupid and unlucky and ignorant and first time entrepreneurs. In the email we received (I received on 7 of October ), they claim of more than three months of "fighting" for our rights  (LOL) with Livedrive. This would mean that when they made the offer on StackSocial (from 7 till 15 of July 2014) they already knew about the change of terms and pricing, but instead they chose to keep advertising their services with the "old" terms and pricing, and they did it on purpose. Isn't that False Advertisement at least? Isn't that a fraud in your books? There goes your naive-unlucky argument...

4. HOW do you recommend evaluating Change of Terms and Pricing? I'd be thrilled to know!!!!

5. Ok we are not ignorant of cable and cell phone companies practices with Unlimited offers but a. these tacticts arent commendable. b. they always include an asterisk or fine letters SAYING EXPLICITLY what they consider as unlimited (I didnt see that in DrivePop's case) 3. I dont consider 3 MONTHS of service nowhere near unlimited even with fine print conditions, neither a fair duration of service for 69 USD and 1TB of capacity

What bothers me most though is your attitude (assuming you dont have anything to gain from their scum).

You are all too eager to say "aaah matey dont bother ... life is life ... more people will steal from you, learn to deal with it and you will be fine. After all you asked (=signed) for it didn't you, it's your fault then... be glad they don't ask for more"  and moreover you recommend against legal measures against DrivePop which is strange and brow-raising if not suspicious (suggesting that maybe u have something to gain).

And of course I enjoyed the last part:

"I have said on the topic what i have to say. There will be no further responses from me on this topic."

You might as well plug your ears with your finger and shout as we speak

cover-your-ears-rapgenius.jpg

Sorry about the wall of text but i feel it was justified

Edited by tiljj

Asyd

I just subscribed to reply to the thread. I should note i subscribed to drivepop taking the StackSocial offer on 15/7/2014  of 1TB - 5 Computers 69 USD lifetime

@revengineer

Apart from being emotional and frustrated because I feel scammed (wouldnt you if someone stole your money?),

lets lay out some some cold hard facts.

1. They are a business asking money for supplying services. So what do they do? They take your money you agreed on in advance, and then say "Aah we changed our mind we want more money to supply you with the service"

This is plain extortion! Who's to say that if you agree the prices won't go up again in three months time. If you decide to cancel, then they stole your money for no services supplied.

2. You say they act as a middleman between subscribers and Livedrive, having poor profits and signing vague contracts. So I suppose that all the retail shops that act as middlemen between wholesale producers and you, real estate agents, and stockbrokers, make really lousy profits and sleep under bridges. I'm sure Drivepop make more than enough, given that they dont even really infrastracture since they are an e-service. Moreover, do you know a lot of businessmen who sign a contract saying the other party "can change the terms whenever they want, charge whatever amount they want, and that all changes ARE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELLY"???  Yeaaah riiiight!!

3. But let's say they were really gullible and naive and stupid and unlucky and ignorant and first time entrepreneurs. In the email we received (I received on 7 of October ), they claim of more than three months of "fighting" for our rights  (LOL) with Livedrive. This would mean that when they made the offer on StackSocial (from 7 till 15 of July 2014) they already knew about the change of terms and pricing, but instead they chose to keep advertising their services with the "old" terms and pricing, and they did it on purpose. Isn't that False Advertisement at least? Isn't that a fraud in your books? There goes your naive-unlucky argument...

4. HOW do you recommend evaluating Change of Terms and Pricing? I'd be thrilled to know!!!!

5. Ok we are not ignorant of cable and cell phone companies practices with Unlimited offers but a. these tacticts arent commendable. b. they always include an asterisk or fine letters SAYING EXPLICITLY what they consider as unlimited (I didnt see that in DrivePop's case) 3. I dont consider 3 MONTHS of service nowhere near unlimited even with fine print conditions, neither a fair duration of service for 69 USD and 1TB of capacity

What bothers me most though is your attitude (assuming you dont have anything to gain from their scum).

You are all too eager to say "aaah matey dont bother ... life is life ... more people will steal from you, learn to deal with it and you will be fine. After all you asked (=signed) for it didn't you, it's your fault then... be glad they don't ask for more"  and moreover you recommend against legal measures against DrivePop which is strange and brow-raising if not suspicious (suggesting that maybe u have something to gain).

And of course I enjoyed the last part:

"I have said on the topic what i have to say. There will be no further responses from me on this topic."

You might as well plug your ears with your finger and shout as we speak

cover-your-ears-rapgenius.jpg

Sorry about the wall of text but i feel it was justified

Bravo @tiljj, spot on! I signed up late last year didn't even know they were still running the offer as recent as this past July. More deception. I'm telling ya, FTC complaint is on the horizon and that ALWAYS opens a can of worms.