RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
gyrene2083

DrivePop Changes for High Use Accounts...

gyrene2083

In July of 2013 when DrivePop was offering an Family Lifetime unlimited plan for 74.99, it was a no brainer not to jump on the deal, however I just received this email:

We regret to inform you that Livedrive is not cooperating and we have to raise the fees for high usage again.  In order to accommodate Livedrive.com and their recent sale to J2 Global we are being placed in a very difficult situation as they are rescinding their offer for Unlimited Backup Space.  Since we are unable to reach an agreement with Livedrive the only way we can reach a settlement is by passing along the cost of high data usage to the customers. 

Effective immediately we need to adjust the rate of the over usage cost.  Please see the updated terms below.

This is a quick message to let you know that for while Unlimited Backup Accounts offer unlimited space it does not include unlimited and prolonged bandwidth usage and storage. In 30 days there is going to be a heavy usage fee if you choose to retain this amount of data in a given period of time. A Fair Use Policy is outlined in our Terms of service that explains this.

Along with this I received a 99.99 bill due 01 Oct. Sometimes good things are really to good to be true. So needless to say, I just cancelled my account. It was good while it lasted I suppose.

jcollison

Bummer.  how much data did you have stored out there?

gyrene2083

Hi Jim, I had a little over 4TBs, but I have it backed up here at home. It was good while it lasted.

Jason

Yikes. What a bait and switch. I too stored a lot on Livedrive but never received such an email.

Dave

Wow. I'm sorry to hear this guy's . I don't think there is anything I can do about it but will ping the drive pop guys.

gyrene2083

I really didn't see that coming, if you want to read the entire email here it is:

We regret to inform you that Livedrive is not cooperating and we have to raise the fees for high usage again.  In order to accommodate Livedrive.com and their recent sale to J2 Global we are being placed in a very difficult situation as they are rescinding their offer for Unlimited Backup Space.  Since we are unable to reach an agreement with Livedrive the only way we can reach a settlement is by passing along the cost of high data usage to the customers. 

Effective immediately we need to adjust the rate of the over usage cost.  Please see the updated terms below.

This is a quick message to let you know that for while Unlimited Backup Accounts offer unlimited space it does not include unlimited and prolonged bandwidth usage and storage. In 30 days there is going to be a heavy usage fee if you choose to retain this amount of data in a given period of time. A Fair Use Policy is outlined in our Terms of service that explains this.

As stated:
DrivePop may, in our sole discretion and from time to time, establish or amend general operating practices to maximize the operation and availability of DrivePop Products or Services and to prevent abuses. As part of these practices, we reserve the right to monitor our system to identify excessive consumption of network resources and to take such technical and other remedies as we deem appropriate. Your consumption of DrivePop Products or Services may be deemed excessive if, within any month, your usage greatly exceeds the average level of monthly usage of DrivePop’s customers, generally, or if you exceed 1TB within a 365 day period. In the event you are deemed to have violated this policy, we reserve the right to offer an alternative pricing plan or DrivePop Product or Service that will permit you to continue to use DrivePop Products or Services.

Going forward with your exising account here the High Data Bandwidth Fees are:

Within a 365 day period:

>1TB $99.99 a month
>5 TB $299.99 a month
>10TB $499.99 a month

This will be effective 30 days from this notice as outlined in our terms of service. Your current usage is over 1TB.  The exact usage will be reviewed and your monthly invoice adjusted.  If you reduce your account size to below 1TB it will be your responsibility to notify us in writing by submitting an email to support@drivepop.com so we can review your account and adjust your account accordingly.

You may also want to reduce the space you use if you have extra data backed up that is no longer needed. To remove backup sets please get with our support at support@drivepop.com to have these removed.

Thanks,
DrivePop Support 

Wow. I'm sorry to hear this guy's . I don't think there is anything I can do about it but will ping the drive pop guys.

No worries Dave, like I said before it was good while it lasted. I was just shocked that I got that letter and a bill.

Edited by HSS-Dave
Removed Support links to account

snooks

You would have thought when DrivePop wrote "Never pay for Cloud storage again!" they might have been true to their word:

https://web.archive.org/web/20131218095010/http://www.drivepop.com/last-chance-lifetime/

Also now on the price plans page it says extra TBs are available for $4.99/month...Not the $99/month they want to charge us.

Edited by snooks

carp969

I had an exchange of emails with Marco from DrivePop yesterday. From the sound of it Livedrive have pulled this out if no where.

It sounds to me like

Livedrive have over sold in the past and are now trying to dump their highest usage customers.

I'm waiting for a refund based on I the fact I paid for a lifetime service of unlimited storage and 14 months isn't a lifetime.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

revengineer

Wow, not even a grace period while you backup your stuff elsewhere. The guys are real....

jmwills

Wow, not even a grace period while you backup your stuff elsewhere. The guys are real....

You would think a grace period would have been in order.  Sounds like a cash strapped company to me.  Once again, WHS/WSE proves to be a reliable solution for Cloud Storage as long as you have an additional copy of critical data off site as well.