RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 2012 R2 Essentials vs. Windows 8

FALaholic

So I have setup a "server" using Windows 8.1 that is to say a PC that runs 8.1 and stores all of our videos, pictures, and music.  I have these stored on JBOD using Stablebit Drivepool and Scanner.   

I have a copy of 2012 R2 Essentials from Dreamspark, and was considering upgrading.  Would I gain anything by doing this?  I want to still use the server for torrents and of course there is the AV concern (commercial solution) vs the free Panda AV that I am using.  

Anyone have any input?  

• Supermicro X10SLL-F
  • Xeon 3.1 Ghz E3-1220v3
  • 16GB Crucial ECC DDR3
  • various drives totaling approx. 6TB space 

Can you do bare Metal Restores with the Win8 "server"?

Not as of yet.  I just tranferred the data earlier in the week and came online just last night.  I discovered Dreamspark earlier in this quest, and since my wife is a student started to download 2012 r2 Essentials. 

Yeah I wanted something 24/7 stable.  I wish I was better at my command line...I would have put Centos on there, but then no Drivepool.  I have been around and around on which OS without the expense or drawbacks of RAID. 

I must retain the traits of a Drivepool style solution.  I dont have the money to buy new HDDs of similar size and make.    

• Like 1

Specifically cost for startup.

The other "disadvantage" of RAID  is managing a drive loss -    The drives themselves  aren't readable individually.

rebuilding a RAID after a hardware glitch is touchy -   especially if you dont know what you are doing. 

with drivepool,   you can pull the drives and recover your data thru a USB dock.

• Like 1

For all the prob;ems noted on these forums using RAID, I would hazard a guess there are 2 to 3 times as many for any Drive Extender type product.  I've dropped on drive in four years and also perform onsite and offsite backups of critical data.

RAID is not a backup solution.  I'm not saying one is better than the other, just noting my own observations and experiences.